• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewers getting younger

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    The feedback was quite woolly really. This was a 2 step interview process, and the on site second stage was to be a "working interview". I thought some pairs programming or something.

In fact it was them firing technical questions at me for 1hr, then a test with some post it notes.

Apparently I aced the technical test (as did the previous unlucky candidate), and we both slipped up with the post it note test.

The post it note test involved them putting post it notes on the table in a random fashion, with words written on them like "fruit", "banana", "apple", "knife", "person", "cut".

Then I was told that they wanted to build an app to cut fruit, and I should arrange the post it notes "logically". So I asked if they were referring to an object hierarchy. The said this would do.

So I arranged the post it notes, and was then asked to embellish the object model so they could also juice fruit, as well a cut it. I was also asked to model it in such a way that would cause a "compilation error" if a fruit that was not cuttable, or juicable was passed to the person object for cutting or juicing.

I did this, and shan't bother you with the technicalities, but it involved interfaces.

Then some more questions, and I asked them how they would prefer it to be implemented, either by use of another interface, or by other means, and asked some questions to try and tease this out. At this point the guy puts his hands up in a "stop right there" fashion and says "we're not technical remember, we're the customer". I pointed out that as the customer they had already been discussing compilation errors, interfaces and object models so must be fairly technical as we're already 20 minutes into discussions.

So the feedback was that my presentation skills were lacking, ie that I'm the classic propeller hat wearing nerd that should never go near the customer. Odd that as a consultant I have to deal with customers all day long, but this seems lost on them.

I do feel that unless they give some better feedback, or come up with a less subjective test, they will be looking for Mr/Mrs right for longer than needs be.

Ho hum.
    They sounds like a right bunch of *******. Bollocks to 'em

Comment

The feedback was quite woolly really. But then again, I did have sheep tulip on my flies.
      FTFY

Comment

So the feedback was that my presentation skills were lacking, ie that I'm the classic propeller hat wearing nerd that should never go near the customer.
        So, they think exactly the same as the majority, on here, food for thought
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          So, they think exactly the same as the majority, on here, food for thought
          Not quite. A lot on here think he should never be let near a computer keyboard either...

Nick is however correct. Onwards and upwards they clearly aren't very good at interviewing and need to rethink their methods (separating technical and customer facing into 2 clearly separate bits with some different faces would be a good start)..
          Last edited by eek; 16 August 2016, 08:02.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Not quite. A lot on here think he should never be let near a computer keyboard either...

Nick is however correct.
            Onwards and upwards they clearly aren't very good at interviewing and need to rethink their methods (separating technical and customer facing into 2 clearly separate bits with some different faces would be a good start)..
            Totally agree, TBF to Suity they sound like complete bunch of clueless chunts
            The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

some would see that as an opportunity.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                some would see that as an opportunity.
                It is once you are in the door with feet under a desk. Until you are at that point its a problem...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

and they think they know everything

Bullet dodged Suity!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    and they think they know everything

Bullet dodged Suity!
                    Yeah, you can't have both parties like that!
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Which was exactly why they were looking to hire an expert.... at least until they found Suity.

Comment

Working...
                      X