• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewers getting younger

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Did you get any feedback?
    The feedback was quite woolly really. This was a 2 step interview process, and the on site second stage was to be a "working interview". I thought some pairs programming or something.

In fact it was them firing technical questions at me for 1hr, then a test with some post it notes.

Apparently I aced the technical test (as did the previous unlucky candidate), and we both slipped up with the post it note test.

The post it note test involved them putting post it notes on the table in a random fashion, with words written on them like "fruit", "banana", "apple", "knife", "person", "cut".

Then I was told that they wanted to build an app to cut fruit, and I should arrange the post it notes "logically". So I asked if they were referring to an object hierarchy. The said this would do.

So I arranged the post it notes, and was then asked to embellish the object model so they could also juice fruit, as well a cut it. I was also asked to model it in such a way that would cause a "compilation error" if a fruit that was not cuttable, or juicable was passed to the person object for cutting or juicing.

I did this, and shan't bother you with the technicalities, but it involved interfaces.

Then some more questions, and I asked them how they would prefer it to be implemented, either by use of another interface, or by other means, and asked some questions to try and tease this out. At this point the guy puts his hands up in a "stop right there" fashion and says "we're not technical remember, we're the customer". I pointed out that as the customer they had already been discussing compilation errors, interfaces and object models so must be fairly technical as we're already 20 minutes into discussions.

So the feedback was that my presentation skills were lacking, ie that I'm the classic propeller hat wearing nerd that should never go near the customer. Odd that as a consultant I have to deal with customers all day long, but this seems lost on them.

I do feel that unless they give some better feedback, or come up with a less subjective test, they will be looking for Mr/Mrs right for longer than needs be.

Ho hum.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      The feedback was quite woolly really. This was a 2 step interview process, and the on site second stage was to be a "working interview". I thought some pairs programming or something.

In fact it was them firing technical questions at me for 1hr, then a test with some post it notes.

Apparently I aced the technical test (as did the previous unlucky candidate), and we both slipped up with the post it note test.

The post it note test involved them putting post it notes on the table in a random fashion, with words written on them like "fruit", "banana", "apple", "knife", "person", "cut".

Then I was told that they wanted to build an app to cut fruit, and I should arrange the post it notes "logically". So I asked if they were referring to an object hierarchy. The said this would do.

So I arranged the post it notes, and was then asked to embellish the object model so they could also juice fruit, as well a cut it. I was also asked to model it in such a way that would cause a "compilation error" if a fruit that was not cuttable, or juicable was passed to the person object for cutting or juicing.

I did this, and shan't bother you with the technicalities, but it involved interfaces.

Then some more questions, and I asked them how they would prefer it to be implemented, either by use of another interface, or by other means, and asked some questions to try and tease this out. At this point the guy puts his hands up in a "stop right there" fashion and says "we're not technical remember, we're the customer". I pointed out that as the customer they had already been discussing compilation errors, interfaces and object models so must be fairly technical as we're already 20 minutes into discussions.

So the feedback was that my presentation skills were lacking, ie that I'm the classic propeller hat wearing nerd that should never go near the customer. Odd that as a consultant I have to deal with customers all day long, but this seems lost on them.

I do feel that unless they give some better feedback, or come up with a less subjective test, they will be looking for Mr/Mrs right for longer than needs be.

Ho hum.
      Fook me. They've certainly raised the bar for LIDLs.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Sounds like an interview for the post of patient in a psychiatric ward
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Ho hum.
          Yeah would not worry.

Real life does not come on a series of post it's someone has made up.

Keep trucking monica.

Comment

Did you successfully complete the earlier post-it note test....?

Comment

Ho hum.
              At least your lack of personal skills masked your lack or technical skills.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                Fook me. They've certainly raised the bar for LIDLs.

Planning to apply? Don't! They won't like you.

Comment

Ho hum.
                  I reckon your lack of people skills made you fail to understand when the interviewers were playing the 'interviewer' role and when they were playing the 'stakeholder' role, in this little game.

There is a reason why tech guys sit in a dark corner and we business-focused folk are talking to the business.

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    Planning to apply? Don't! They won't like you.
                    They bullying you again? Why not lose a few stone then you might be able to squeeze in behind the tills and show your class? It would keep you away from the bakery section if nothing else although they might have to liberally spread the air fresheners around the Till area to mask your BO.
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

My last interview was 40 mins of chit-chat on a conf call, other end asked to go in private mode, 10 mins later - offer. Not one hard question, just waffling over situations...

Start 1st Sept, Copenhagen, can't speak a word of Danish, but I'll be fluent in a few hours after I've downloaded this course....

Min luftpudebåd er fyldt med ål.

Anyone ever tried to buy a bed in Danish from a Swedish company online from the UK?

Comment

Working...
                      X