• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interviewers getting younger"

Collapse

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Totally agree, TBF to Suity they sound like complete bunch of clueless chunts
    Which was exactly why they were looking to hire an expert.... at least until they found Suity.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
    and they think they know everything

Bullet dodged Suity!
    Yeah, you can't have both parties like that!

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    and they think they know everything

Bullet dodged Suity!

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    some would see that as an opportunity.
    It is once you are in the door with feet under a desk. Until you are at that point its a problem...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    some would see that as an opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    Not quite. A lot on here think he should never be let near a computer keyboard either...

Nick is however correct.
    Onwards and upwards they clearly aren't very good at interviewing and need to rethink their methods (separating technical and customer facing into 2 clearly separate bits with some different faces would be a good start)..

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    So, they think exactly the same as the majority, on here, food for thought
    Not quite. A lot on here think he should never be let near a computer keyboard either...

Nick is however correct. Onwards and upwards they clearly aren't very good at interviewing and need to rethink their methods (separating technical and customer facing into 2 clearly separate bits with some different faces would be a good start)..
    Last edited by eek; 16 August 2016, 08:02.

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    So the feedback was that my presentation skills were lacking, ie that I'm the classic propeller hat wearing nerd that should never go near the customer.
    So, they think exactly the same as the majority, on here, food for thought

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    The feedback was quite woolly really. But then again, I did have sheep tulip on my flies.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    The feedback was quite woolly really. This was a 2 step interview process, and the on site second stage was to be a "working interview". I thought some pairs programming or something.

In fact it was them firing technical questions at me for 1hr, then a test with some post it notes.

Apparently I aced the technical test (as did the previous unlucky candidate), and we both slipped up with the post it note test.

The post it note test involved them putting post it notes on the table in a random fashion, with words written on them like "fruit", "banana", "apple", "knife", "person", "cut".

Then I was told that they wanted to build an app to cut fruit, and I should arrange the post it notes "logically". So I asked if they were referring to an object hierarchy. The said this would do.

So I arranged the post it notes, and was then asked to embellish the object model so they could also juice fruit, as well a cut it. I was also asked to model it in such a way that would cause a "compilation error" if a fruit that was not cuttable, or juicable was passed to the person object for cutting or juicing.

I did this, and shan't bother you with the technicalities, but it involved interfaces.

Then some more questions, and I asked them how they would prefer it to be implemented, either by use of another interface, or by other means, and asked some questions to try and tease this out. At this point the guy puts his hands up in a "stop right there" fashion and says "we're not technical remember, we're the customer". I pointed out that as the customer they had already been discussing compilation errors, interfaces and object models so must be fairly technical as we're already 20 minutes into discussions.

So the feedback was that my presentation skills were lacking, ie that I'm the classic propeller hat wearing nerd that should never go near the customer. Odd that as a consultant I have to deal with customers all day long, but this seems lost on them.

I do feel that unless they give some better feedback, or come up with a less subjective test, they will be looking for Mr/Mrs right for longer than needs be.

Ho hum.
    They sounds like a right bunch of *******. Bollocks to 'em

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    My last interview was 40 mins of chit-chat on a conf call, other end asked to go in private mode, 10 mins later - offer. Not one hard question, just waffling over situations...

Start 1st Sept, Copenhagen, can't speak a word of Danish, but I'll be fluent in a few hours after I've downloaded this course....

Min luftpudebåd er fyldt med ål.

Anyone ever tried to buy a bed in Danish from a Swedish company online from the UK?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    Planning to apply? Don't! They won't like you.
    They bullying you again? Why not lose a few stone then you might be able to squeeze in behind the tills and show your class? It would keep you away from the bakery section if nothing else although they might have to liberally spread the air fresheners around the Till area to mask your BO.

Leave a comment:

• blackeye
    replied
    The feedback was quite woolly really. This was a 2 step interview process, and the on site second stage was to be a "working interview". I thought some pairs programming or something.

In fact it was them firing technical questions at me for 1hr, then a test with some post it notes.

Apparently I aced the technical test (as did the previous unlucky candidate), and we both slipped up with the post it note test.

The post it note test involved them putting post it notes on the table in a random fashion, with words written on them like "fruit", "banana", "apple", "knife", "person", "cut".

Then I was told that they wanted to build an app to cut fruit, and I should arrange the post it notes "logically". So I asked if they were referring to an object hierarchy. The said this would do.

So I arranged the post it notes, and was then asked to embellish the object model so they could also juice fruit, as well a cut it. I was also asked to model it in such a way that would cause a "compilation error" if a fruit that was not cuttable, or juicable was passed to the person object for cutting or juicing.

I did this, and shan't bother you with the technicalities, but it involved interfaces.

Then some more questions, and I asked them how they would prefer it to be implemented, either by use of another interface, or by other means, and asked some questions to try and tease this out. At this point the guy puts his hands up in a "stop right there" fashion and says "we're not technical remember, we're the customer". I pointed out that as the customer they had already been discussing compilation errors, interfaces and object models so must be fairly technical as we're already 20 minutes into discussions.

So the feedback was that my presentation skills were lacking, ie that I'm the classic propeller hat wearing nerd that should never go near the customer. Odd that as a consultant I have to deal with customers all day long, but this seems lost on them.

I do feel that unless they give some better feedback, or come up with a less subjective test, they will be looking for Mr/Mrs right for longer than needs be.

Ho hum.
    I reckon your lack of people skills made you fail to understand when the interviewers were playing the 'interviewer' role and when they were playing the 'stakeholder' role, in this little game.

There is a reason why tech guys sit in a dark corner and we business-focused folk are talking to the business.

Leave a comment:

• FatLazyContractor
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Fook me. They've certainly raised the bar for LIDLs.

Planning to apply? Don't! They won't like you.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Ho hum.
    At least your lack of personal skills masked your lack or technical skills.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X