• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    But that's nothing like what was reported in the article. It was a completely different grouping with different rules. Have you read it? Nothing about temporary breaks. That's what we offered originally and look where that got them.

And as for Rip Van Winkle's comment about no meaningful discussion for a year. How does that tie in with Juncker's desire to trigger A50 asap. Does he think we will trigger it and then sit around for a year? I doubt it.

What would really help would be if the drunks in the EU Commission could get their act together and come up with a single story rather than lots of different ones.
    That's not going to happen anytime soon, because there are different views across the European institutions on how Brexit should be handled. As the talks proceed next year I expect the views to slowly start to converge between the commission, the parliament and the council.

One interesting point that's come up in recent days is Herman Van Rompuy's claim about no substantive talks until October 2017 due to the German elections. I can see the logic in this, but it would be completely impossible for Mother Theresa to not trigger article 50 till that time. Maybe the first order of diplomacy should be to agree an immediate 1 year extension to the talks. Article 50 gets triggered as planned early next year, and then a vote is taken to extend the talks by a year, taking into account the French and German elections.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
      That's not going to happen anytime soon, because there are different views across the European institutions on how Brexit should be handled. As the talks proceed next year I expect the views to slowly start to converge between the commission, the parliament and the council.

One interesting point that's come up in recent days is Herman Van Rompuy's claim about no substantive talks until October 2017 due to the German elections. I can see the logic in this, but it would be completely impossible for Mother Theresa to not trigger article 50 till that time. Maybe the first order of diplomacy should be to agree an immediate 1 year extension to the talks. Article 50 gets triggered as planned early next year, and then a vote is taken to extend the talks by a year, taking into account the French and German elections.
      Your last point is what I said earlier. Juncker wants now. Rip van winkle says a year. Get it sorted.

As individual countries realise the impact of Brexit then heads will form their own ideas, substantially different to what the commission wants. How about all Poles are sent home but Germans can stay? Or 20% tariff on imported vehicles but no tariff on wine? Take your pick.

Comment

Your last point is what I said earlier. Juncker wants now. Rip van winkle says a year. Get it sorted.

As individual countries realise the impact of Brexit then heads will form their own ideas, substantially different to what the commission wants. How about all Poles are sent home but Germans can stay? Or 20% tariff on imported vehicles but no tariff on wine? Take your pick.
        Come on GB9, lets keep it real. You well know that none of the things you've just said could ever happen. BTW even the UK govt does not know exactly what it wants. Posturing and power plays are exactly what you would expect at this stage

Comment

Come on GB9, lets keep it real. You well know that none of the things you've just said could ever happen.
          He's either a troll or thick as mince.
          Or both.
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Come on GB9, lets keep it real. You well know that none of the things you've just said could ever happen. BTW even the UK govt does not know exactly what it wants. Posturing and power plays are exactly what you would expect at this stage
            I sincerely hope they wouldn't as they would be in retaliation to something not good being thrown in our direction. The best solution is something sensible for all. The proposal put forward in that article is the most sensible so far.

However, if you believe this, then you can see it getting rather nasty very quickly.

So yes, what I suggested is extreme but it could happen. Add that to the fact that each member state has its own fear and self interest then you never know where it will end up.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              He's either a troll or thick as mince.
              Or both.
              So I post something you don't like so I'm a troll again.

Do you know what your thick as mince phrase actually means and it's origin?

Comment

Codswallop of the highest order. With a side serving of tulip.

Our decision to vote Brexit had nothing to do with EU migrants coming to the UK. Who for the most part are young, healthy, able to work individuals who take work locals don't want. Migrants from the middle east, far east, Brits clearly take more umbrage with.

Our decision to leave is 90% driven by our massive debt. We were a member with massive benefit and control, which we choose not to exhibit. Our tax haven is open for business as usual. We welcome anyone who can exploit our labour force for short term gain.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Codswallop of the highest order. With a side serving of tulip.

Our decision to vote Brexit had nothing to do with EU migrants coming to the UK. Who for the most part are young, healthy, able to work individuals who take work locals don't want. Migrants from the middle east, far east, Brits clearly take more umbrage with.

Our decision to leave is 90% driven by our massive debt. We were a member with massive benefit and control, which we choose not to exhibit. Our tax haven is open for business as usual. We welcome anyone who can exploit our labour force for short term gain.
                  You're just crapping your pants that you'll get turfed out of Germany. Admit it.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I sincerely hope they wouldn't as they would be in retaliation to something not good being thrown in our direction. The best solution is something sensible for all. The proposal put forward in that article is the most sensible so far.

However, if you believe this, then you can see it getting rather nasty very quickly.

So yes, what I suggested is extreme but it could happen. Add that to the fact that each member state has its own fear and self interest then you never know where it will end up.
                    The EU position.is backed up by analysts in the City.

Real Chance Brexit Won't Happen, Says Kapoor - Bloomberg

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      You're just crapping your pants that you'll get turfed out of Germany. Admit it.
                      Yes. You've hit the nail on the head. Ma pants are full.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X