• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    If they have access to the single market (free movement of goods, services and capital) as the German politician is suggesting not only will the UK be paying it will also have to abide by EU law.

The only thing they would have is "some control over immigration" probably something along the lines of privileged access, i.e. you have a job offer you're in.

i.e. defacto member of the EU but with a few "sops" over immigration, i.e. this is the Norway solution with a few "bones" thrown to the Brits because they're so big.

This is where it is going.

I didn't see that in the interview. Did he actually say that or are you making assumptions?

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      Do we get a rebate with that?

It would have to be less than our current nett payment.
      I thought you claimed that is the nett payment.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        I thought you claimed that is the nett payment.
        We pay £375m. The EU then provides funds to whoever it sees fit. I very much doubt the latter would continue!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          If they have access to the single market (free movement of goods, services and capital) as the German politician is suggesting not only will the UK be paying it will also have to abide by EU law.

The only thing they would have is "some control over immigration" probably something along the lines of privileged access, i.e. you have a job offer you're in.

i.e. defacto member of the EU but with a few "sops" over immigration, i.e. this is the Norway solution with a few "bones" thrown to the Brits because they're so big.

This is where it is going.

Your right. That's where the thinking in the EU certianly seems to be going. Daniel Hannan posted this recently. It's an extrct from a publication by the Breugel Institute which he describes as an EU in house think tank.

.....‘The UK will want to have some control over labour mobility, as well as leaving behind the EU’s supranational decision-making. Our proposed continental partnership would consist in participating in goods, services, capital mobility and some temporary labour mobility as well as in a new system of inter-governmental decision making and enforcement of common rules to protect the homogeneity of the deeply integrated market… This results in a Europe with an inner circle, the EU, with deep and political integration, and an outer circle with less integration. Over the long-run this could also serve as a vision for structuring relations with Turkey, Ukraine and other countries.’..

So it's indeed looking like we end up with a form of Norway's arrangement with some migration controls thrown in. If that did indeed end up being the case, I would expect to see Switzerland transition to it in time.

Comment

Originally posted by sirja View Post
            Your right. That's where the thinking in the EU certianly seems to be going. Daniel Hannan posted this recently. It's an extrct from a publication by the Breugel Institute which he describes as an EU in house think tank.

.....‘The UK will want to have some control over labour mobility, as well as leaving behind the EU’s supranational decision-making. Our proposed continental partnership would consist in participating in goods, services, capital mobility and some temporary labour mobility as well as in a new system of inter-governmental decision making and enforcement of common rules to protect the homogeneity of the deeply integrated market… This results in a Europe with an inner circle, the EU, with deep and political integration, and an outer circle with less integration. Over the long-run this could also serve as a vision for structuring relations with Turkey, Ukraine and other countries.’..

So it's indeed looking like we end up with a form of Norway's arrangement with some migration controls thrown in. If that did indeed end up being the case, I would expect to see Switzerland transition to it in time.

But that's nothing like what was reported in the article. It was a completely different grouping with different rules. Have you read it? Nothing about temporary breaks. That's what we offered originally and look where that got them.

And as for Rip Van Winkle's comment about no meaningful discussion for a year. How does that tie in with Juncker's desire to trigger A50 asap. Does he think we will trigger it and then sit around for a year? I doubt it.

What would really help would be if the drunks in the EU Commission could get their act together and come up with a single story rather than lots of different ones.

Comment

But that's nothing like what was reported in the article. It was a completely different grouping with different rules. Have you read it? Nothing about temporary breaks. That's what we offered originally and look where that got them.

And as for Rip Van Winkle's comment about no meaningful discussion for a year. How does that tie in with Juncker's desire to trigger A50 asap. Does he think we will trigger it and then sit around for a year? I doubt it.

What would really help would be if the drunks in the EU Commission could get their act together and come up with a single story rather than lots of different ones.
              The article was just a puff piece from Reuters reporting on a paper written by a German which then turned into an interview on Bloomberg. This is just one politician representing one party from one country, how many other politicians from all the other parties in all countries have the same idea?

Europe after Brexit: A proposal for a continental partnership | Bruegel
              Roettgen: Migration Key to Keep U.K. Relations Close - Bloomberg
              http://www.norbert-roettgen.de/
              Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Bit like Brexiter's then:

Farage’s final months as leader were spent “trying to relive his days of the 1980s in the City”, surrounding himself with “lads” who became drinking partners
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  Bit like Brexiter's then:
                  I'm pretty sure Mother Teresa knows what she wants hence pulling the children in line.

Whether or not we like it is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    The article was just a puff piece from Reuters reporting on a paper written by a German which then turned into an interview on Bloomberg. This is just one politician representing one party from one country, how many other politicians from all the other parties in all countries have the same idea?

Europe after Brexit: A proposal for a continental partnership | Bruegel
                    Roettgen: Migration Key to Keep U.K. Relations Close - Bloomberg
                    Dr. Norbert Röttgen
                    The German who wrote the original is in Merkel''s government. Heads of state seem pretty pragmatic. It's the commission that wants to punish us. We will avoid negotiating with the commission as much as possible and go straight to the heads, as we already are.

Comment

Well do not worry it's because everyone has been lying about Europe for the past 40 years...

Obviously absolutely no chance us stoopid Englanders could make up our own minds

What some condescending tw@ said

Comment

Working...
                      X