• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

[Merged]Brexit stuff

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    He's not a prophet. He's someone who did a job in the 1990s and is now trying to sell a book.

If I only read the headline and not done a bit of research as to who this guy was, I'd be looking like a brexidiot.
    I'm sure he isn't a prophet too. But at least he's the bloke making the claim and not the article writer as the Remnant seemed to think.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    It's not him predicting it.

Do you Remnants ever read past the headline?
    He's not a prophet. He's someone who did a job in the 1990s and is now trying to sell a book.

If I only read the headline and not done a bit of research as to who this guy was, I'd be looking like a brexidiot.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Ambrose was predicting the imminent collapse of the Euro back in 2008
    I blame bremoaners for that.

Leave a comment:

• GB9
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    It's not him predicting it.

Do you Remnants ever read past the headline?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    reading that does mean we have to subscribe to the Telegraph .. cut and paste please SB
    The European Central Bank is becoming dangerously over-extended and the whole euro project is unworkable in its current form, the founding architect of the monetary union has warned.

"One day, the house of cards will collapse,” said Professor Otmar Issing, the ECB's first chief economist and a towering figure in the construction of the single currency.
    Prof Issing said the euro has been betrayed by politics, lamenting that the experiment went wrong from the beginning and has since degenerated into a fiscal free-for-all that once again masks the festering pathologies.

“Realistically, it will be a case of muddling through, struggling from one crisis to the next. It is difficult to forecast how long this will continue for, but it cannot go on endlessly," he told the journal Central Banking in a remarkable deconstruction of the project.
    The comments are a reminder that the eurozone has not overcome its structural incoherence. A beguiling combination of cheap oil, a cheap euro, quantitative easing and less fiscal austerity have disguised this, but the short-term effects are already fading.

The regime is almost certain to be tested again in the next global downturn, this time starting with higher levels of debt and unemployment, and greater political fatigue.

Prof Issing lambasted the European Commission as a creature of political forces that has given up trying to enforce the rules in any meaningful way. "The moral hazard is overwhelming," he said.
    The European Central Bank is on a "slippery slope" and has in his view fatally compromised the system by bailing out bankrupt states in palpable violation of the treaties.

"The Stability and Growth Pact has more or less failed. Market discipline is done away with by ECB interventions. So there is no fiscal control mechanism from markets or politics. This has all the elements to bring disaster for monetary union.

"The no bailout clause is violated every day," he said, dismissing the European Court's approval for bailout measures as simple-minded and ideological.

The ECB has "crossed the Rubicon" and is now in an untenable position, trying to reconcile conflicting roles as banking regulator, Troika enforcer in rescue missions and agent of monetary policy. Its own financial integrity is increasingly in jeopardy.
    The central bank already holds over €1 trillion of bonds bought at "artificially low" or negative yields, implying huge paper losses once interest rates rise again. "An exit from the QE policy is more and more difficult, as the consequences potentially could be disastrous," he said.

"The decline in the quality of eligible collateral is a grave problem. The ECB is now buying corporate bonds that are close to junk, and the haircuts can barely deal with a one-notch credit downgrade. The reputational risk of such actions by a central bank would have been unthinkable in the past," he said.

Cloaking it all is obfuscation, political mendacity and endemic denial. Leaders of the heavily indebted states have misled their voters with soothing bromides, falsely suggesting that some form of fiscal union or debt mutualisation is just around the corner.

Yet there is no chance of political union or the creation of an EU treasury in the forseeable future, which would in any case require a sweeping change to the German constitution - an impossible proposition in the current political climate. The European project must therefore function as a union of sovereign states, or fail.
    I blame Brexit!!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    ECB Prophet? I didn't realise that was a job title.

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Delete your browser cookies for the ones that are for the "telgraph".
    Sometimes I am so glad to be amongst teccies

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    reading that does mean we have to subscribe to the Telegraph .. cut and paste please SB
    Delete your browser cookies for the ones that are for the "telgraph".

Leave a comment:

• DodgyAgent
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X