• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being fired as a IT contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Of course he would have negotiated such a poor clause out in the first place, or his review would have highlighted it for negotiating out.
    You would like to think so.

If he hadn't stated his company gets paid rather than him I would be thinking FTC.

Comment

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
      You would like to think so.

If he hadn't stated his company gets paid rather than him I would be thinking FTC.
      Quite recently I had an agent try and introduce such terms as an addition to an extension I had signed.
      I told the agent I would not be signing as I didn't work with the client in that way i.e. there would never be a situation of conflict with regards to provision of services. Another part of the agency chased and chased, but I never signed it

Its all about client management, never had an issue with time off in 16 years, or so, in all the contracts I have done.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Indeed MMM - it's interesting at CS. For anyone who hasn't worked there, don't panic if you get an Adecco contract that states something about informing/agreeing holidays, etc. Working practices are nothing like that; Adecco may have removed that by now, but I don't know.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Indeed MMM - it's interesting at CS. For anyone who hasn't worked there, don't panic if you get an Adecco contract that states something about informing/agreeing holidays, etc. Working practices are nothing like that; Adecco may have removed that by now, but I don't know.
          I had a contract years back with that sh*t in.

As usual I checked with the client that service wouldn't be disrupted over my break, then phoned up the agency to inform them as per the contract. The agent's response was akin to "Why the f*** are you telling me?"
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I had a contract years back with that sh*t in.

As usual I checked with the client that service wouldn't be disrupted over my break, then phoned up the agency to inform them as per the contract. The agent's response was akin to "Why the f*** are you telling me?"
            What, an agent not knowing/caring about IR35?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Mentioned this before. I had agent once who said I had to "ask" THEM for time off. No I said - it wasn't in contract, I'd sort it with client and if they really wanted I'd inform agency out of courtesy f they were that bothered.

Next time I do that and tell agency that its sorted/client agreement etc. Get email back - yes I can authorise that. WTF! So I remind them of previous discussion. Next time same again. Happened a few times - so I stopped "informing" them.

Got a few stroppy emails but ignored them after this and they gave up.
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dltasty View Post
                Hi there,

I am an IT contractor through my own limited company. I've been in my current role 2 months - and to be honest I'm not enjoying it at all and want to leave. I am on 4 weeks notice period.

I told my boss this week that I wanted to take 3 days off next week (weds, thurs and fri) - as my friends have booked a holiday and I want to go. I appreciate this is short notice I've given her. She has declined and said she needs me in the office (even though she doesnt because theres nothing at all to do)).

Long and short of it ----- im going on the holiday - be it by taking sick leave or just ignoring her advice not to go. I care more about going on the holiday than the job.....

However - if I do get fired I would like to still work out my 4 week notice period - which I'm worried might be put in danger if I go on the holiday after being told not to.

Can you let me know if there is any way I can preserve my 4 week notice period in this situation - Would it work if I claimed I was sick even though it was an obvious lie?

Thanks for your help

From - probably not the best person to hire for a job
                As has been said this was handled badly from day 1, you do not ask for holiday, you tell the client, in good time when you will be unavailable.

Not sure what you mean by preserving the 4 weeks notice period, you do know you don't get paid if you are sick right?
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  As has been said this was handled badly from day 1, you do not ask for holiday, you tell the client, in good time when you will be unavailable.

Not sure what you mean by preserving the 4 weeks notice period, you do know you don't get paid if you are sick right?
                  Simon, the bloke who started this thread is the HR manager of a company. I assume he is trying to get rid of an IT contractor and is weighing up his risks by asking us what we'd do.
                  The fact that so many on this thread haven't read the posts where I've pointed this out makes me concerned.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    Simon, the bloke who started this thread is the HR manager of a company. I assume he is trying to get rid of an IT contractor and is weighing up his risks by asking us what we'd do.
                    The fact that so many on this thread haven't read the posts where I've pointed this out makes me concerned.
                    He is?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                      The first post does not read like that at all.

Also if he is a HR manager doesn't he know:
                      1. How to read a contract to check the small print, and,
                      2. How to contact a lawyer for legal advice if needed
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X