• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Being fired as a IT contractor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dltasty View Post
    Hi there,

I am an IT contractor through my own limited company. I've been in my current role 2 months - and to be honest I'm not enjoying it at all and want to leave. I am on 4 weeks notice period.

I told my boss this week that I wanted to take 3 days off next week (weds, thurs and fri) - as my friends have booked a holiday and I want to go. I appreciate this is short notice I've given her. She has declined and said she needs me in the office (even though she doesnt because theres nothing at all to do)).

Long and short of it ----- im going on the holiday - be it by taking sick leave or just ignoring her advice not to go. I care more about going on the holiday than the job.....

However - if I do get fired I would like to still work out my 4 week notice period - which I'm worried might be put in danger if I go on the holiday after being told not to.

Can you let me know if there is any way I can preserve my 4 week notice period in this situation - Would it work if I claimed I was sick even though it was an obvious lie?

Thanks for your help

From - probably not the best person to hire for a job
    Now then, DLT from asty, let's take this as a "you are the ref" question standpoint.

Personally, as a contractor, I would say that it very much depends upon the stage that the project is at. If offered a short break at short notice, I'd say that it depends what my work stack is like and how deadlines are. If I've got 7 days of work to do and we go live in 8 days then I'm not going on the short break because I'd rather build a relationship.

With me as the project manager and you as the contractor, if you've advised that you're unavailable at short notice, I'd discuss substitution at a reduced rate with someone competent enough to do the three days. If you're telling me on the Monday that you won't be available from Weds-Fri, you're not getting an extension because it's unreasonable and put my project at risk. I'll also make sure you never get contract work with me again. There's also nothing to stop me, should it benefit my project, from telling you that there's no more work for you and that I want you off site. The agent will back me up because I hold the money.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Possibly I do. For example, I know that you should really be addressed as MsMarkyMark, not MrMarkyMark now that the gender re-alignment process is complete.
      Well, I do have you to thank for such good surgeon recommendation.

The work he has done on you is really quite something
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
        Well, I do have you to thank for such good surgeon recommendation.

The work he has done on you is really quite something

Yup, getting it reduced to 12" was impressive, now it bangs my knee, not my ankle.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Now then, DLT from asty, let's take this as a "you are the ref" question standpoint.

Personally, as a contractor, I would say that it very much depends upon the stage that the project is at. If offered a short break at short notice, I'd say that it depends what my work stack is like and how deadlines are. If I've got 7 days of work to do and we go live in 8 days then I'm not going on the short break because I'd rather build a relationship.

With me as the project manager and you as the contractor, if you've advised that you're unavailable at short notice, I'd discuss substitution at a reduced rate with someone competent enough to do the three days. If you're telling me on the Monday that you won't be available from Weds-Fri, you're not getting an extension because it's unreasonable and put my project at risk. I'll also make sure you never get contract work with me again. There's also nothing to stop me, should it benefit my project, from telling you that there's no more work for you and that I want you off site. The agent will back me up because I hold the money.
          Assuming this last paragraph would not apply in case of genuine emergency? i.e rather than a "fancy few days off for holiday". Hope not :-(
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Assuming this last paragraph would not apply in case of genuine emergency? i.e rather than a "fancy few days off for holiday". Hope not :-(
            Like I said, it depends upon the stage of the project.

If you've been naïve enough to ask for time off and it's not suitable, then that's your fault.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you've been naïve enough to ask for time off and it's not suitable, then that's your fault.
              You are going to be working with PC
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Right so heres a scenario. Its critical project time. Contractor comes to you - got a family emerency, family member critically ill say. They said they'd do their best but need to be there.

You'd say sorry its an important time tough? Really?

If I was said contractor and client refused to act like a human being in a case like this, I'd be telling to stuff it up their backside sideways and be out the door within 5 minutes.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Right so heres a scenario. Its critical project time. Contractor comes to you - got a family emerency, family member critically ill say. They said they'd do their best but need to be there.

You'd say sorry its an important time tough? Really?

If I was said contractor and client refused to act like a human being in a case like this, I'd be telling to stuff it up their backside sideways and be out the door within 5 minutes.
                  It's not really the same thing though is it?

If I had a family emergency, I simply would not be in the office. No discussion, no asking.

"I need to go/won't be in because...." is all that is happening, followed probably by a an update the next day, or whatever.
                  Last edited by jmo21; 21 July 2016, 09:39.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    It's not really the same thing though is it?

If I had a family emergency, I simply would not be in the office. No discussion, no asking.

"I need to go/won't be in because...." is all that is happening, followed probably by a an update the next day, or whatever.
                    Correct. PC lives in a different world, one where he still wants to be a perm.

Comment

If you want an advise… don't go on Holiday.
                      You have a commitment with the client and you shouldn't break it.

Good luck

Originally posted by dltasty View Post
                      Hi there,

I am an IT contractor through my own limited company. I've been in my current role 2 months - and to be honest I'm not enjoying it at all and want to leave. I am on 4 weeks notice period.

I told my boss this week that I wanted to take 3 days off next week (weds, thurs and fri) - as my friends have booked a holiday and I want to go. I appreciate this is short notice I've given her. She has declined and said she needs me in the office (even though she doesnt because theres nothing at all to do)).

Long and short of it ----- im going on the holiday - be it by taking sick leave or just ignoring her advice not to go. I care more about going on the holiday than the job.....

However - if I do get fired I would like to still work out my 4 week notice period - which I'm worried might be put in danger if I go on the holiday after being told not to.

Can you let me know if there is any way I can preserve my 4 week notice period in this situation - Would it work if I claimed I was sick even though it was an obvious lie?

Thanks for your help

From - probably not the best person to hire for a job

Comment

Working...
                      X