• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK in Schengen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    If EU migration had checks for serious offenders we would have seen a lot fewer violent crimes in the UK and we would have a lot fewer unpleasant EU citizens in prison (and we all know how hard it is to get a jail term in UK)
    Actually there is, or shortly was (in the sense that we won't have access to it probably) a Europol database which had checks for serious offenders. We might lose that now.
    Do you have any evidence for your statement? I'm always willing to believe that you might eventually have a valid point

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
      Actually there is, or shortly was (in the sense that we won't have access to it probably) a Europol database which had checks for serious offenders. We might lose that now.
      Do you have any evidence for your statement? I'm always willing to believe that you might eventually have a valid point
      links have been posted on this board and of course if you listened to the news you might be educated.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

links to Daily Wail have been posted on this board and of course if you listened to the news reports of the Brexit campaign's own project fear you might be educated.
        FTFY.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If EU migration had checks for serious offenders we would have seen a lot fewer violent crimes in the UK and we would have a lot fewer unpleasant EU citizens in prison (and we all know how hard it is to get a jail term in UK)
          But...

The British government retains full control over its own border controls. Travellers who hold EU passports can’t cross the UK border without having their passport or identity checked, and the same applies for travellers from non-EU countries.
          The UK can, and does, perform passport and identity checks at its borders and refuses entry to travellers who do not travel with valid identity documents even if they are from another EU member state.
          http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...35:0048:en:PDF

EU Law Analysis: Free movement of murderers? EU law aspects of the Alice Gross case

In the case of the UK, I think you'll find it's quite likely either lax Border Agency workers (actually not enough of them due to Tory cuts) or they didn't know. In fact, 6,500 European criminals have been deported since 2010 because of the European arrest warrant system that comes from being in the EU. that could all change now, possibly...
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            Schengen doesn't make any sense for an island nation
            It makes sense for Malta.

Comment

Originally posted by CretinWatcher View Post
              I'm always willing to believe that you might eventually have a valid point
              I don't know why you care, it would doubtless soar way over your empty old head.

“The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
                It makes sense for Malta.
                Malta has ID cards.

If the UK had ID cards, like the Blair government tried to bring in, then people wouldn't try and sneak in then use other people's national insurance numbers etc.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Malta has ID cards.

If the UK had ID cards, like the Blair government tried to bring in, then people wouldn't try and sneak in then use other people's national insurance numbers etc.
                  And thank God we don't. If you want to live in a police state, I'm sure we can suggest a few for you...
                  His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    And thank God we don't. If you want to live in a police state, I'm sure we can suggest a few for you...
                    We live in police state now - look at all the CCTV, an ID card makes no difference. My German mates have the old Reisepass, effectively an EU passport even for UK, or whatever it's called, no issue, but they don't have a zillion CCTV or speeding cameras to watch you.

I'd be happy with an ID card, I've nothing to hide...

Comment

look at all the totally useless when it comes to a crime being committed CCTV
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X