• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK in Schengen?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    While the EU rules say the Schengen Visa is free, most if not all States now charge a booking fee and/or a forced £1.80 a min appointment booking line that takes at least 10 mins to get through!
    Schengen Visa is NOT free.

"Schengen Visa Fee is.
    Adults - €60 per person.
    Children 6-12 years of age - €35 per person. Children under 6 years - free"

Member states just can't charge extra on entry, but UK will NOT be in Shengen zone, it could just recognise those visas and charge half of it's own fee - that would get a lot of extra tourists.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      Schengen Visa is NOT free.

"Schengen Visa Fee is.
      Adults - €60 per person.
      Children 6-12 years of age - €35 per person. Children under 6 years - free"

Member states just can't charge extra on entry, but UK will NOT be in Shengen zone, it could just recognise those visas and charge half of it's own fee - that would get a lot of extra tourists.
      Sorry meant free for foreign spouses of EU citz...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Was think about this over on my Swiss sojourn...

It seems (to me) more than likely given the rhetoric flying about that there's no stomach for long post Brexit deals/discussions/negotiations etc, and (to me) the Norway model looks on the cards. OK, fair enough, bit of a backwards step but still keeps the UK away from the Wilderness.

Now a large amount of Brexiters voted that way because of immigration and the especially I think because of the Turkey plan to allow Turks (and Syrian refugees taken in as part of their deal) Schengen access.

UK isn't in Schengen so it was an ungrounded fear but I'd need to research but I reckon the Norway model if it was adopted would mean the UK would have to join Schengen, really setting the cat (Syrians and Turks) amongst the pigeons (the 'Great' British).

Whoops again.
        I wouldn't put much money on Schengen even existing in 2 years time. It's dying on it's arse now, courtesy of terrorism and mass illegal immigration. Germany, France and Belgium have all reintroduced border controls to some extent, and I'm sure there are others. It was yet another stupid EU idea, and as usual, badly thought out - or very likely not thought out at all.
        His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Schengen doesn't make any sense for an island nation but we could choose to honour schengen visas but keep passport controls.
          Iceland is in Schengen - works fine. From Switzerland, you get off the plane, pick up your bags and then go through customs. For planes from/to the UK you go through a separate area of the airport, where your passports are checked.

The Swiss voted for Schengen because it's not just about "no passport checks" - it's about the sharing of security information. Apparently that's what swung it on their referendum. But with the refugee crisis, "no passport checks" is looking rather shaky.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

All that matters, only if UK exits the EU membership.

We won't, looking at all the drama going on in the country, and the fact that there is no plan for post-brexit.

Comment

Originally posted by Milkyway View Post
              All that matters, only if UK exits the EU membership.

We won't, looking at all the drama going on in the country, and the fact that there is no plan for post-brexit.
              Then there had better be a plan for the riots if we don't leave.
              His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Iceland is in Schengen - works fine. From Switzerland, you get off the plane, pick up your bags and then go through customs. For planes from/to the UK you go through a separate area of the airport, where your passports are checked.

The Swiss voted for Schengen because it's not just about "no passport checks" - it's about the sharing of security information. Apparently that's what swung it on their referendum. But with the refugee crisis, "no passport checks" is looking rather shaky.
                And let's face it, that has worked a treat, hasn't it. No terrorist atrocities whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                  A 20p cut in beer duty would probably do it

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                    Do you actually know anyone who will riot or is this just another one of these 'there will be riots' things where what actually happens is, a few people post tulipe on Facebook about it ?
                    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                      Do you actually know anyone who will riot or is this just another one of these 'there will be riots' things where what actually happens is, a few people post tulipe on Facebook about it ?
                      I was being mildly facetious - I'm sorry if that confused you, but I do appreciate there are some things a mere muppet cannot possibly comprehend.

Comment

Working...
                      X