• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can we deport the racists please?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GB9 View Post
    Do you understand the difference between racism and protectionism?
    There is often very little space inbetween such thinking... as is so often shown in history...

Go read some history on "protectionism"... The formation of Nazi Germany would be a good starting point for you. Might be a bit of an eye opener....

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Some of The Poles helped us win the Battle of Britain. And then we had little choice but to hand their country over to the Communists being exhausted and unable to defeat Stalin.

This might be what your history books say, but it still seems starkly anti-semitic. However it is common for the persecuted or even the same to band together.

My understanding is that many wanted to integrate but were forced to live in enclaves. Yes and No, just as Sikhs or Muslims tend to live in the same area in the UK because they feel more comfortable doing so many of the jews did as well there is plenty of history to support that without any official ghettoisation.
      FTFY

as always its a lot more complicated than that.

New book examines Poles who killed Jews during WWII | The Times of Israel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schindler%27s_Ark

there were Angels & Demons on both sides. Schindler's list was quite interesting especially about the way the Polish treated the Jews, many of them were pretty horrible to them.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
        There is often very little space inbetween such thinking... as is so often shown in history...

Go read some history on "protectionism"... The formation of Nazi Germany would be a good starting point for you. Might be a bit of an eye opener....
        My Grandfather always said Nazi Germany was caused by Versailles.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Where's Churchill when you need someone to calm a situation down?
          He's probably gone back on his commitment never to work again for certain categories of people who are only in it for themselves.

Comment

This is a real shame to be having this discussion. I whole heartedly agree that the Poles, Czechs, Slovakians and others have worked like mad and been a good addition in most cases. But what happened when the borders opened feels a little different to when the 80's was all about Asian families coming to live in London.

It's easy to sit in a big house away from the area's that get most of the immigrants and say la,la,la there is no problem. Strictly speaking I AM the immigrant in my village because I rocked up bought a house that the locals could not afford and in the past 15 years my kids have taken school spaces, used the NHS and got free dentists spaces....

You are simply ignorant if you don't understand that many in small enclaves there are lots of white and now black/asian under classed people that are not successful enough to move up the ladder and are feeling squeezed and put to the back of the queue. (you can debate the truth of their fears as much as you like, to them it feels true.)

That list of concerns that Original posted is more or less the manifesto pledge of Stocksfield flats in Walthamstow in the 80's. By then the tenants had seen Pakistani's, Africans and Sudanese people all flood into Walthamstow. There wasn't anything wrong with the incomers (that is if you don't mind having your washing permanently stinking of curry because the new neighbours seemed to be cooking onions all day every day). But they were segregated by lack of language skills and dumped on the doorsteps of the locals that were stood looking at streets full of cultures we were never prepared for.

Those newcomers consumed houses and used the NHS to have big families and they did a whole raft of other things that the locals were uncomfortable with. All this while most importantly not seeming to add to the area in terms of cleanliness and community values. On the flip side they were sat in a country they didn't understand surrounded by people that were far from welcoming.

At the bottom of society is a melting pot with finite resources and unless you have lived in one you won't understand it.

If you don't believe me, why not take an away evening to visit parts of Luton or maybe have a wander around some of the South London Estates. See how safe and untroubled our country really is...

I dont support closing our borders I don't support throwing anyone out. But unless we want to see things get a whole lot worse we need to address the paranoia of a whole section of society and ENFORCE integration so that we don't keep having the same ghetto problems segregating us from them.

Comment

My wife and her family arrived in the 80s from S.E. Asia. The parents are now retired after running a few takeaways. The kids all went to university. One has a Biochemistry degree, one a masters in Chemical Engineering, the other in Business and Law.

The Biochemist is a primary school teacher and English teacher.
              The Engineer runs a fish and chip shop

But it's the one who did Business who's the shame on the family. She's a lawyer.

Part of the reason why they did pretty well was, I am sure, because they were able to choose not their fellow countrymen in one part of London. Ghettoisation doesn't work.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                My Grandfather always said Nazi Germany was caused by Versailles.
                I think he was right. WW1 led directly to WW2. If Versailles hadn't been so draconian, who knows what would have happened?
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post

You could have just written 'no' and saved a paragraph.

Comment

My wife and her family arrived in the 80s from S.E. Asia. The parents are now retired after running a few takeaways. The kids all went to university. One has a Biochemistry degree, one a masters in Chemical Engineering, the other in Business and Law.

The Biochemist is a primary school teacher and English teacher.
                    The Engineer runs a fish and chip shop

But it's the one who did Business who's the shame on the family. She's a lawyer.

Part of the reason why they did pretty well was, I am sure, because they were able to choose not their fellow countrymen in one part of London. Ghettoisation doesn't work.
                    I would suggest most of the reason was they were determined to do well.Attitude does seem to count for a lot.

Out of curiosity what social standing / economic status were your wife's parents in SE Asia?
                    Last edited by vetran; 27 June 2016, 14:03.

Comment

I think he was right. WW1 led directly to WW2. If Versailles hadn't been so draconian, who knows what would have happened?
                      No doubt it helped significantly, Hitler however was pretty determined to be in charge though so we need to be careful of similar.

Comment

Working...
                      X