• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interview advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interview advice

In 4 days time, I am going to have to SUCCESSFULLY answer the question "how come you are applying for this junior / midrange role when you, apparently, have so much experience?"

I want this one, so cannot say "I'm desperate, its all I could get, and my only loyalty will be to my family".

Richard (or not, maybe someone anon, "Dave" say)
    Last edited by richard101; 30 April 2016, 10:56.

"The role has these challenges....."
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This is a contract role, they're not thinking of how you'll be growing into their organisation. In 6 months the role will be over.

They won't care, they just want someone to get the job done.

Just tell them the role looks interesting and why you're good for the job.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

What BB said.

If it's a contract, then just say that. It fits the profile I'm looking for, is 'local' or not, and I'm experienced enough for it and can help it be successful.

Now if it's perm, though, you'll stink of Suityness.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          This is a contract role, they're not thinking of how you'll be growing into their organisation. In 6 months the role will be over.

WHS

"...because I am able to start doing a good job on Day 1."

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

But they will be nervous he will drop the gig for next decent paying one at his skill level. Enough mercenary contractors on here that proves there is a chance it will happen.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If there is at least one technology or skill the OP can gain more experience in then s/he just needs to say clearly that's why they want it.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post
                In 4 days time, I am going to have to SUCCESSFULLY answer the question "how come you are applying for this junior / midrange role when you, apparently, have so much experience?"

I want this one, so cannot say "I'm desperate, its all I could get, and my only loyalty will be to my family".

Didn't put in a tailored cv for the role?

Lesson learned for next time.

Comment

Originally posted by richard101 View Post

Standard answer:

I like to keep my hands on technical stuff every so often to ensure that I don't become out of touch with actually implementing things....

In my case it happens to be true too. Some of the stuff I see designed by senior architects, who are going off what the RFC/documentation says alone.....
                  And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

A bit of creative rewording and break out the James Brown, I do hope you can carry a tune.

Alternatively you can just grovel on hands and knees and lick the interviewers footwear.

Comment

Working...
                    X