• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Interview advice

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Interview advice"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    ??? Why? The deal was clearly laid out by the client manager at interview. Contract was for 3 months with a weeks notice by either side. Client was merely outlining his expectations.

Makes a change for client to actually live in the real world and understand what they're signing up to.

Of course, I'm sure you'd be one of those who've got a bigger willy than me and "no way would they give notice on a contract". Or at least thats what they'd say on this forum.
    You not jumping ship

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Thanks. Just spat coffee all over my keyboard.
    ??? Why? The deal was clearly laid out by the client manager at interview. Contract was for 3 months with a weeks notice by either side. Client was merely outlining his expectations.

Makes a change for client to actually live in the real world and understand what they're signing up to.

Of course, I'm sure you'd be one of those who've got a bigger willy than me and "no way would they give notice on a contract". Or at least thats what they'd say on this forum.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Went for similar gig once. I was skint and desperate to get off JSA. Bit worried about the same when I went for interview.

First thing guy said, look I know the rate is crap, its the nhs so I'm stuck but thats my problem not yours. I know you can get double this and I know you won't stay forever. If you stay for the whole 3 months its a bonus in my book, but its a weeks notice, if you get something else I don't have a problem with that.

I got the gig and he was probably the best client manager I ever worked with. I did end up staying 3 months. Great attitude from him I thought.

Funny thing was after I left they had two more contractors in who just never turned up etc when it suited them and he had to let them go. This was probably the hardest gig ever to get the boot from - the guy was just so chilled and laid back.
    Thanks. Just spat coffee all over my keyboard.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Went for similar gig once. I was skint and desperate to get off JSA. Bit worried about the same when I went for interview.

First thing guy said, look I know the rate is crap, its the nhs so I'm stuck but thats my problem not yours. I know you can get double this and I know you won't stay forever. If you stay for the whole 3 months its a bonus in my book, but its a weeks notice, if you get something else I don't have a problem with that.

I got the gig and he was probably the best client manager I ever worked with. I did end up staying 3 months. Great attitude from him I thought.

Funny thing was after I left they had two more contractors in who just never turned up etc when it suited them and he had to let them go. This was probably the hardest gig ever to get the boot from - the guy was just so chilled and laid back.

Leave a comment:

• Cliphead
    replied
    Sounds like HR can't tell the difference between Permie and contract. Good advice in earlier posts, I'd push the new challenges, better, quicker, quality work.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by richard101 View Post
    In 4 days time, I am going to have to SUCCESSFULLY answer the question "how come you are applying for this junior / midrange role when you, apparently, have so much experience?"

I want this one, so cannot say "I'm desperate, its all I could get, and my only loyalty will be to my family".

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    A bit of creative rewording and break out the James Brown, I do hope you can carry a tune.

Alternatively you can just grovel on hands and knees and lick the interviewers footwear.

Leave a comment:

• b0redom
    replied
    In 4 days time, I am going to have to SUCCESSFULLY answer the question "how come you are applying for this junior / midrange role when you, apparently, have so much experience?"

I want this one, so cannot say "I'm desperate, its all I could get, and my only loyalty will be to my family".

Richard (or not, maybe someone anon, "Dave" say)
    Standard answer:

I like to keep my hands on technical stuff every so often to ensure that I don't become out of touch with actually implementing things....

In my case it happens to be true too. Some of the stuff I see designed by senior architects, who are going off what the RFC/documentation says alone.....

Leave a comment:

• Flashman
    replied

Richard (or not, maybe someone anon, "Dave" say)
    Didn't put in a tailored cv for the role?

Lesson learned for next time.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    If there is at least one technology or skill the OP can gain more experience in then s/he just needs to say clearly that's why they want it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    This is a contract role, they're not thinking of how you'll be growing into their organisation. In 6 months the role will be over.

They won't care, they just want someone to get the job done.

Just tell them the role looks interesting and why you're good for the job.
    But they will be nervous he will drop the gig for next decent paying one at his skill level. Enough mercenary contractors on here that proves there is a chance it will happen.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    This is a contract role, they're not thinking of how you'll be growing into their organisation. In 6 months the role will be over.

WHS

"...because I am able to start doing a good job on Day 1."

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    What BB said.

If it's a contract, then just say that. It fits the profile I'm looking for, is 'local' or not, and I'm experienced enough for it and can help it be successful.

Now if it's perm, though, you'll stink of Suityness.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    "The role has these challenges....."

Leave a comment:

Working...
X