• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ideas for getting rid of old company paper files

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaffab View Post
    McDonalds receipts

Inkspe

Comment

Give them to MyHermes to deliver to you.

Safely disposed of.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Neglecting the fact that Hector can go back 20 years if the fancy so takes him/her/it.
        surely if you proffer electronic copies over 6 years they have to honour them unless they have evidence of criminal intent?
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          surely if you proffer electronic copies over 6 years they have to honour them unless they have evidence of criminal intent?
          Yes, they do.

You used to need a dispensation from HMRC to keep them digitally (I did a project all around scanning documents for the client) but that's no longer the case.

I scan mine to PDF using a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1300i and then shred them in my Fellowes Automax 130C which does them quietly and in bulk.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
            HMRC don't require you to keep anything beyond six years plus the current year. So the above is not an issue. Any other reason ?
            It's 20 years if they want it. And they might just want it if you tell them that you've shredded old documents...

Originally posted by jaffab View Post
            But, if the principle advice on the HMRC web site says you don't have to keep them, you can just say "well, your guidance said I could get rid of them, so I did, sorry - don't have the receipts you need".
            Did you print out that guidance and shredded it since it got too old?

Comment

Everyone is out to get me!!!!!

Comment

OCOQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvs4bOMv5Xw
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Please find somewhere to store the paper copies, anywhere will do. If HMRC asks for 20 years worth, paper copies are far more fun
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Make paper aeroplanes with it?

Exotic Paper Aircraft

Comment

Shred it then flog it on ebay as hamster bedding.

PPI Soft Shredded Paper Bedding Hamster/Rabbit/Mice/Rat 200G Pack Of 4 - 11323 | eBay

Also means you can take advantage of the new tax break for online traders

Comment

Working...
                      X