• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ideas for getting rid of old company paper files

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait until you get a client with a confidential document bin that gets shredded onsite. Bung it in there over the period of the gig.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Wait until you get a client with a confidential document bin that gets shredded onsite. Bung it in there over the period of the gig.
      Ohhhh - nice idea. Plus I can re-enact the "great escape" scenes..... Payroll slips down my trouser legs, McDonalds receipts in my pants, a suite made out of petty cash vouchers, and a motorbike jump over the coffee machine.

Concerned about this 'keep them' discussion. My accountant says its good to go - This (https://www.gov.uk/running-a-limited...unting-records) says....

How long to keep records

You must normally keep records for at least 6 years from the end of the last company financial year they relate to.

You may need to keep records longer if:
      they show a transaction that covers more than one of the company’s accounting periods
      the company has bought something that it expects to last more than 6 years, like equipment or machinery
      you sent your Company Tax Return late
      HMRC has started a compliance check into your Company Tax Return

Comment

Make charcoal with it

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...3033847AAbxdml

Then buy some decent sausages and have a bbq

Comment

Get the office below AtW's. Wait for the "coffee machine"**** to flood should sort it.

**** I think AtW was having a bath with his squirrel friends and got carried away.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            1. Original documents.
            2. Backup.
            3. You won't have to tell auditors/HMRC that you shredded original documents.
            HMRC don't require you to keep anything beyond six years plus the current year. So the above is not an issue.

Any other reason ?

Comment

This ^

Comment

Sorry all... Someone hacked my account and posted useful information. Now where were we...

Have you asked your accountant?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Sorry all... Someone hacked my account and posted useful information. Now where were we...

Have you asked your accountant?
                  You should not have given NLyUK a break. Get her back on her back....

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Neglecting the fact that Hector can go back 20 years if the fancy so takes him/her/it.
                    But, if the principle advice on the HMRC web site says you don't have to keep them, you can just say "well, your guidance said I could get rid of them, so I did, sorry - don't have the receipts you need".

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                      Neglecting the fact that Hector can go back 20 years if the fancy so takes him/her/it.
                      You still don't have to keep anything beyond six years and the current year. We can play this game all day but it doesn't change the facts.

Comment

Working...
                      X