• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

However if you belong to the EU you don't need travel authorization within it. You may not need to show your identification within a subset the Schengen area so people without identification can move freely within it.
    Just to clarify:

If you are an EU National (1),you do not need to show your national ID card or passport when you are travelling from one border-free Schengen EU country to another. Even if you don't need a passport for border checks within the Schengen Area (2), it is still always highly recommended to take a passport or ID card with you, so you can prove your identity if needed (if stopped by police, boarding a plane, etc.). Schengen EU countries have the possibility of adopting national rules obliging you to hold or carry papers and documents when you are present on their territory.
    (1 - including Norway, Iceland and Lichetenstein
    (2 - not including Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

This debate linking the EU to immigration is rather pointless. The UK population has grown from 55 million to 63 million, and 1 million of that is due to EU migration (3 million EU citizens - 2 million Brits in the EU). So focusing on the EU doesn't actually tackle immigration at all. If there had been only EU immigration the UK population would be 56 million. Non-EU immigration is completely ignored or debated as though it's "caused by the EU" which it isn't.

Brexit 'unlikely to mean deep migration cuts but may lead to 2p tax increase' | Politics | The Guardian
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        That's a different issue.
        You're talking now about the rights of Europeans who are part of the EU to have free access to all parts of the EU. That's a political decision, whether you agree with it or not.
        Schengen actually started with the Western European countries in 1995 before the accession of the Eastern European states, and made perfect sense.

With ISIS/Syrian refugees, it makes less sense, but as you yourself have noted, no form of barrier will suffice for desperate and resourceful people.
        Freedom of the EU citizen to travel is fundamental concept of the EU. I am not talking about something different. Sorry if you are having trouble following the argument.

the accession of the Eastern European states was planned so no it didn't make sense as the disparity of wages would always mean it would drag wages down.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
          Just to clarify:

(1 - including Norway, Iceland and Lichetenstein
          (2 - not including Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland, Romania and the United Kingdom
          however most aren't checked has been my experience. I regularly travel in the EU and I have only had my Identity checked by officials in Airports.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            This debate linking the EU to immigration is rather pointless. The UK population has grown from 55 million to 63 million, and 1 million of that is due to EU migration (3 million EU citizens - 2 million Brits in the EU). So focusing on the EU doesn't actually tackle immigration at all. If there had been only EU immigration the UK population would be 56 million. Non-EU immigration is completely ignored or debated as though it's "caused by the EU" which it isn't.

Brexit 'unlikely to mean deep migration cuts but may lead to 2p tax increase' | Politics | The Guardian
            oh look over there.... ignore this issue that one is so much bigger....

Comment

however most aren't checked has been my experience. I regularly travel in the EU and I have only had my Identity checked by officials in Airports.
              Funny that, its the same in the UK ....once you're in you're in.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Funny that, its the same in the UK ....once you're in you're in.
                precisely.

And with porous borders and criminals travelling the EU that isn't a good thing.

Comment

oh look over there.... ignore this issue that one is so much bigger....
                  Exactly failing to win the economic argument means Brexit supporters focus on an issue that is largely irrelevant to the EU, but goes down well with the "great unwashed".

There are 3 million Europeans in the UK which is a lot, but they displaced a load of Brits living abroad, and don't "steal jobs".
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

There are 3 million Europeans in the UK which is a lot, but they displaced a load of Brits living abroad, and don't "steal jobs".
                    The EU migrants in the UK are younger and economically active.
                    The Brits abroad are mostly retirees, most are not well off, but prefer the weather in Spain and Portugal and get free health care (in many instances better than the NHS) due to European rules.

If the choice was swapping them over, it wouldn't be a good exchange for the UK.

https://www.cer.org.uk/sites/default...ept13-7892.pdf
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Exactly failing to win the economic argument means Brexit supporters focus on an issue that is largely irrelevant to the EU, but goes down well with the "great unwashed".

The economic argument is irrelevant. Neither side knows what will happen. People seem incapable of learning from history . If we do not leave the EU now and bear whatever the cost is we will one day have to leave it anyway only the cost will be far greater than it is now.

Already the Germans are reporting huge surpluses in their balance of payments yet Greece is being driven further into a downward spiral with the germans insisting they raise taxes and reduce public services to repay debt. There is no way out for the Greeks whilst the Germans enjoy their prosperity. The same rule will apply to the establishment vs the rest if do not dismantle this Orwellian nightmare that is the EU now.
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X