• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain would go to the ‘back of the queue' for US trade deals post-Brexit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Since the demise of Monty Python there has been a void in "silliness", that was until Brexit came along

Here's my favourite:

Ukip's McNarry wants British Army to patrol Irish border after a Brexit - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

...and people vote for them....

So if we leave the EU and stop people who want to come here via UK ports you don't think they will go via Ireland?

These are desperate & resourceful people.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      I'm not sure how I can make it simple for you but lets try.

no a passport is not a travel authorisation that is an identification document. The days of waving the Blue passport ad shouting I'm a British citizen at the fuzzy wuzzies are long gone.

A Visa granted by the country you are visiting is authorisation.

You won't get far wandering into most non EU countries without a Visa or visa waiver. Frequently they greet you with guns.

However if you belong to the EU you don't need travel authorization within it. You may not need to show your identification within a subset the Schengen area so people without identification can move freely within it.

Bringing back travel authorization within the EU which is against its core principles will allow states to control all sorts of migration.

Funny that now the EU is falling apart under the onslaught of economic migration they are all for ignoring the rules yet won't let the UK amend them.
      and you wasted all that time typing this for sasguru?

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
        and you wasted all that time typing this for sasguru?
        good point.

but I am bored.

Comment

So if we leave the EU and stop people who want to come here via UK ports you don't think they will go via Ireland?

These are desperate & resourceful people.
          and the Irish of course will be perfectly happy to see the return of the British army won't they.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Mr. Brexit Came to Washington, and Then Things Got a Bit Awkward - Bloomberg

Sums up the Brexit arguments nicely.

It was the most unimpressive and unconvincing argument for a political case I’ve seen in years. He appealed to every type of argument that’s unconvincing: naked nationalism, nativism, anti-free-market, anti-capitalism ideas,
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

and the Irish of course will be perfectly happy to see the return of the British army won't they.
              well they can always help patrol the border and avoid us using the Army.

The very small minority of the Irish who mean us harm might get upset but they are probably too busy running their protection rackets.

Comment

yeah because America was so into becoming one large state with Mexico, Canada etc.

Oh yes they killed all the locals stole half of Mexico and then imported the other half of it for cheap labour...

The Canadians aren't that keen on the Yanks either.

Comment

I'm not sure how I can make it simple for you but lets try.

no a passport is not a travel authorisation that is an identification document. The days of waving the Blue passport ad shouting I'm a British citizen at the fuzzy wuzzies are long gone.

A Visa granted by the country you are visiting is authorisation.

You won't get far wandering into most non EU countries without a Visa or visa waiver. Frequently they greet you with guns.

However if you belong to the EU you don't need travel authorization within it. You may not need to show your identification within a subset the Schengen area so people without identification can move freely within it.

Bringing back travel authorization within the EU which is against its core principles will allow states to control all sorts of migration.

Funny that now the EU is falling apart under the onslaught of economic migration they are all for ignoring the rules yet won't let the UK amend them.
                  You really are a different level of thick.
                  Are you suggesting it would be a good idea economically for each country in Europe to require a visa from a citizen of every other European country?
                  Is that what you mean by "travel authorisation"?
                  Yes I suppose you could go to the embassy and have your PASSPORT stamped with a VISA.
                  That would really stop the Syrian refugee crisis.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You really are a different level of thick.
                    yes nowhere near as thick as you.

You think its a good idea to have no restrictions to travel between countries of vastly different economic situations.

Comment

yes nowhere near as thick as you.

You think its a good idea to have no restrictions to travel between countries of vastly different economic situations.
                      That's a different issue.
                      You're talking now about the rights of Europeans who are part of the EU to have free access to all parts of the EU. That's a political decision, whether you agree with it or not.
                      Schengen actually started with the Western European countries in 1995 before the accession of the Eastern European states, and made perfect sense.

With ISIS/Syrian refugees, it makes less sense, but as you yourself have noted, no form of barrier will suffice for desperate and resourceful people.
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X