• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any one with 123-reg?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch. Used to work for them, thoughts go out to the cheeky tech that made the whoopsie. Also general reminded, unless you specifically pay your hosting company for backups (and sometimes even if you do), they probably don't have them and things do wrong, so you best have some yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
      Ouch. Used to work for them, thoughts go out to the cheeky tech that made the whoopsie.
      Maybe he was showing that it's impossible to delete clients data with that rf command...

Comment

xoggoth site. Losing that would be akin to demolishing The Tower of London.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          xoggoth site. Losing that would be akin to demolishing The Tower of London.
          Both not insured?

Comment

Originally posted by fool View Post
            Ouch. Used to work for them, thoughts go out to the cheeky tech that made the whoopsie. Also general reminded, unless you specifically pay your hosting company for backups (and sometimes even if you do), they probably don't have them and things do wrong, so you best have some yourself.
            Unfortunately clauses 8.3 and 9.3.1 of the 123-reg VPS agreement mean that for all those customers complaining about compensation mean they'll get nothing. The agreement looks water tight as the clauses are:
            • 8.3 The 123-reg VPS is an unmanaged server and therefore, it is Your sole responsibility to ensure that Back Ups of Your data is taken.
            • 9.3.1 the active or passive negligence of 123-reg, You or any third party;

In the short term, while not good for customer relations means they're not going to be taken to the cleaners. The VPS side of the business will probably face a rough year.

In the 6+ years I've been running VPS instances all of the providers have ended up having a major meltdown in one way or another. As with anyone working in IT, it pays to have a good disaster recovery plan, even if you're a micro-business.
            Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 18 April 2016, 19:51.

Comment

Just took yet another backup.

Hmmm. Maybe somebody like atW could come up with a scheme to scrape the caches of users' computers to recover lost websites.
              Last edited by xoggoth; 18 April 2016, 19:50.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

As a general update I've logged back into the 123-reg control panel this morning and can see that they've managed to recover my VPS. Fair play to 123-reg for getting the VPS back though as it is more than I would have expected in the circumstances.

Unfortunately I have already moved my VPS elsewhere like many others I suspect.

Comment

Ross County affected as well

Backups eh?

qh
                  He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Hmmm. Maybe somebody like atW could come up with a scheme to scrape the caches of users' computers to recover lost websites.

There's already the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Not nearly a potential replacement for a proper server content backup though as it will be browser output only.

Furious customers tear into 123-reg after firm's mass deletion woes • The Register

Mindful of the obvious problems caused to 123-reg's reputation by the outage, Wilmslow continued, in his email to customers
                    Wilmsloooooooooooooooow!

(admittedly it looks like a typo in the article as he is referred to as Winslow further up, unless that is the actual typo!)
                    Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Just took yet another backup.

You can make sure the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine is aware of the site, and get it to immediately archive individual URLs: https://archive.org/about/faqs.php#1050

In my experience, once it's aware of a site, it will tend to get the whole thing before too long, and will pop back occasionally looking for anything new.

Comment

Working...
                      X