• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Any one with 123-reg?"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Just took yet another backup.

Hmmm. Maybe somebody like atW could come up with a scheme to scrape the caches of users' computers to recover lost websites.
    You can make sure the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine is aware of the site, and get it to immediately archive individual URLs: https://archive.org/about/faqs.php#1050

In my experience, once it's aware of a site, it will tend to get the whole thing before too long, and will pop back occasionally looking for anything new.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Hmmm. Maybe somebody like atW could come up with a scheme to scrape the caches of users' computers to recover lost websites.

There's already the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. Not nearly a potential replacement for a proper server content backup though as it will be browser output only.

Furious customers tear into 123-reg after firm's mass deletion woes • The Register

Mindful of the obvious problems caused to 123-reg's reputation by the outage, Wilmslow continued, in his email to customers
    Wilmsloooooooooooooooow!

(admittedly it looks like a typo in the article as he is referred to as Winslow further up, unless that is the actual typo!)

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Ross County affected as well

Backups eh?

qh

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    As a general update I've logged back into the 123-reg control panel this morning and can see that they've managed to recover my VPS. Fair play to 123-reg for getting the VPS back though as it is more than I would have expected in the circumstances.

Unfortunately I have already moved my VPS elsewhere like many others I suspect.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Just took yet another backup.

Last edited by xoggoth; 18 April 2016, 19:50.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    Ouch. Used to work for them, thoughts go out to the cheeky tech that made the whoopsie. Also general reminded, unless you specifically pay your hosting company for backups (and sometimes even if you do), they probably don't have them and things do wrong, so you best have some yourself.
    Unfortunately clauses 8.3 and 9.3.1 of the 123-reg VPS agreement mean that for all those customers complaining about compensation mean they'll get nothing. The agreement looks water tight as the clauses are:
    • 8.3 The 123-reg VPS is an unmanaged server and therefore, it is Your sole responsibility to ensure that Back Ups of Your data is taken.
    • 9.3.1 the active or passive negligence of 123-reg, You or any third party;

In the short term, while not good for customer relations means they're not going to be taken to the cleaners. The VPS side of the business will probably face a rough year.

In the 6+ years I've been running VPS instances all of the providers have ended up having a major meltdown in one way or another. As with anyone working in IT, it pays to have a good disaster recovery plan, even if you're a micro-business.
    Last edited by ShandyDrinker; 18 April 2016, 19:51.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    xoggoth site. Losing that would be akin to demolishing The Tower of London.
    Both not insured?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    xoggoth site. Losing that would be akin to demolishing The Tower of London.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by fool View Post
    Ouch. Used to work for them, thoughts go out to the cheeky tech that made the whoopsie.
    Maybe he was showing that it's impossible to delete clients data with that rf command...

Leave a comment:

• fool
    replied
    Ouch. Used to work for them, thoughts go out to the cheeky tech that made the whoopsie. Also general reminded, unless you specifically pay your hosting company for backups (and sometimes even if you do), they probably don't have them and things do wrong, so you best have some yourself.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Hucking fell, I felt sorry for him as well. May his hard drives all fail at once
    "The owner of a web hosting company who claimed to have deleted his entire company with one line of code revealed that it was a hoax.

Marco Marsala, an Italian entrepreneur, on Friday posted his faux coding mistake on Server Fault, a forum for server experts. Most of the users who responded to his query noted that it is unlikely that the entrepreneur will be able to recover the lost data.

Marsala's deception was a guerrilla marketing effort to advertise his new start-up and bring attention to a book that he is writing, according to the Repubblica, an Italian newspaper."

Hoax: Man didn't delete biz with line of bad code

Interesting way to get a lot of new clients...

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    That was a hoax!!! Sick one
    Hucking fell, I felt sorry for him as well. May his hard drives all fail at once

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by administrator View Post
    Was going to resurrect the thread from the other day about the poor bloke who shafted his own servers.
    That was a hoax!!! Sick one

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    Muppets! Just spoke to someone who was affected by this. Was going to resurrect the thread from the other day about the poor bloke who shafted his own servers. Having been on the end of (and the cause of) a couple of sphincter twitching moments I really do feel for the poor sods on the sharp end of these incidents.

Leave a comment:

• diseasex
    replied
    Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Yep... lost my VPS but luckily everything backed up to home...

Suffice to say have moved everything elsewhere but was a wasted Sunday!
    My friend lost his VPS , heard about this from him first.
    Well i guess bye bye 123

Leave a comment:

Working...
X