• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Channel tunnel to close on Brexit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    what makes you you sure after Brexit all the Brits established elsewhere will return?
    Great all that liquid cash coming back. Not sure they will be able to afford a house in the South East because the rampant house prices will devalue their pensions pots. Maybe they will move to Thailand etc as what they wanted was cheap living costs in retiremeent.

Agree non EU migration is an issue but its a separate matter. We have a problem that recently joined countries provide labour that undercuts the locals.
    The point is currently a large number of Brits emigrate to the EU, after Brexit they won't. EU immigration goes down, UK emigration goes down, net immigration stays more or less the same. The vast majority of the emigrants are not pensioners, they're taking up jobs, like my cousins daughter who recently emigrated to Germany.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      Up until 2010 EU immigrants were balanced by British emigrants to the EU, from official government statistics.

https://euobserver.com/social/123066

This perception of being swamped by EU immigrants is grossly exaggerated :
      Then why does every supermarket have a section for polish food?

Just saying like.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        Then why does every supermarket have a section for polish food?

Just saying like.
        Why are there British shops in Germany ?

I'm alright Jack

Comment

The point is currently a large number of Brits emigrate to the EU, after Brexit they won't. EU immigration goes down, UK emigration goes down, net immigration stays more or less the same. The vast majority of the emigrants are not pensioners, they're taking up jobs, like my cousins daughter who recently emigrated to Germany.
          And why wouldn't they continue to take jobs in Europe? Plenty of people do take jobs all over the world including Australia, ME, Japan & China none of which have freedom of movement agreements.

However the people taking jobs abroad will be higher value migrants or on short term work visas. The grand tour was quite popular before the EU.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why are there British shops in Germany ?

because there is a market.

Did the British shops all open in 2 years?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              That's funny I asked 13 people and they all said Leave. Mainly because they don't buy into Project Fear and don't like the idea of ever closer union with the EU in its current format.
              Clearly we move in different social circles.

Anyway I am going to the pub tonight. I'll see if I can find a LEAVE advocate there .... that's if I don't get lynched for brining up the subject.

Comment

There is a bit of confusion going on here. The open doors migration sheep have managed to ignore the type or quality of migrants. British migrants who work abroad are usually well educated and working in jobs that fit their education and skills. Migration to the UK on the other hand are to fill low level jobs. The Europeans that fill them can be well educated (starbucks, golf club bar etc) or lower educated Europeans (fruit picking). Both groups performing lower level tasks. If people like darntwat and masturbates return to the UK they will (and I am sure there must be employers stupid enough) return to their 1st level desktop support jobs in the UK. If not I am sure farmers would welcome them.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  There is a bit of confusion going on here. The open doors migration sheep have managed to ignore the type or quality of migrants. British migrants who work abroad are usually well educated and working in jobs that fit their education and skills. Migration to the UK on the other hand are to fill low level jobs. The Europeans that fill them can be well educated (starbucks, golf club bar etc) or lower educated Europeans (fruit picking). Both groups performing lower level tasks. If people like darntwat and masturbates return to the UK they will (and I am sure there must be employers stupid enough) return to their 1st level desktop support jobs in the UK. If not I am sure farmers would welcome them.
                  Actually I do work in the UK now and then, in fact I recently had to offshore and outsource a major application for one of the UK's bailed out banks because the skillset in the UK both no longer existed and those that could possibly do it, actually couldn't. BTW, notice the typical right winger tactic, use silly names due to a lower than average intelligence level

Just reading some of the inane drivel, right wing politics and ill thought out arguments on here, I don't think any intelligent person would want to move or return to the UK on a permanent basis. Sometimes I think I've wandered into a Stormfront/UKIP/Bethlem Royal Hospital/Daily Mail Fan Club forum
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Channel tunnel to close on Brexit?
                    No of course it bloody won't.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                      Just reading some of the inane drivel, right wing politics and ill thought out arguments on here, I don't think any intelligent person would want to move or return to the UK on a permanent basis. Sometimes I think I've wandered into a Stormfront/UKIP/Bethlem Royal Hospital/Daily Mail Fan Club forum
                      Ah, so happy with those 1 million refugees wandering around your streets and taking a dump on your doorstep then

Comment

Working...
                      X