• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vechicle Exise Duty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vechicle Exise Duty

Did anyone else notice this from the summer budget?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...le-excise-duty

Who is likely to be affected

Purchasers of cars first registered from 1 April 2017 onwards.
    General description of the measure

This measure reforms Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) for cars first registered from 1 April 2017 onwards. First Year Rates (FYRs) of VED will vary according to the carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions of the vehicle. A flat Standard Rate (SR) of £140 will apply in all subsequent years, except for zero-emission cars for which the SR will be £0. Cars with a list price above £40,000 will attract a supplement of £310 on their SR for the first 5 years in which a SR is paid. All cars first registered before 1 April 2017 will remain in the current VED system, which will not change. The new rates and bands for the post-2017 VED system are set out in the table below:
    New VED system - for cars registered from 2017
    Emissions (g/CO2/km) First year rate Standard rate*
    0 £0 £0
    1-50 £10 £140
    51-75 £25 £140
    76-90 £100 £140
    91-100 £120 £140
    101-110 £140 £140
    111-130 £160 £140
    131-150 £200 £140
    151-170 £500 £140
    171-190 £800 £140
    191-225 £1200 £140
    226-255 £1700 £140
    over 255 £2000 £140
    *cars over £40,000 pay £310 supplement for 5 years

Isn't that a cut from the current 500 quid or so? My car tax is higher than my car insurance.
    Last edited by Lockhouse; 25 February 2016, 12:24.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Are you exempt if you can't spell it?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Are you exempt if you can't spell it?
        Fat fingers, small phone.
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

So, buy second hand, or if you want new(ish), get a car maker's ex-fleet at 6 months old.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            Isn't that a cut from the current 500 quid or so? My car tax is higher than my car insurance.
            Not for old cars it ain't... also they charge £310 extra for "expensive" cars (BMW 3 series with options) for 5 years - so that's £140+310=£450 for 5 years collected even from cars that were low on CO2

Pretty steep first year registration fee also - essentially a few percents of VAT added - would have been more honest and transparent to have higher VAT on cars.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              So, buy second hand, or if you want new(ish), get a car maker's ex-fleet at 6 months old.
              They use list price for VED...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                They use list price for VED...

I'm thinking about the £140 per year, not the £310.

So, you get a car that pumps out 230g/km, instead of paying £1700 first year VED, you save that money.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I knew they wouldn't keep that low-carbon, tax-free thing around for long. Just glad there will be time for me to pay off my diesel and swap it for an electric.

Comment

Useful spot by the OP.

Comment

Working...
                    X