• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Vechicle Exise Duty"

Collapse

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    B) - it's all about revenue, always and forever.

When electric cars some in they'll have big problem as their take from petrol is very high, I reckon they'd mandate per mile charging on motorways using cameras that can already record number plates.
    Cue an uptake in 4x4 ownership and creative interpretation of "Right to Roam"

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    A) Even the "clean" ones are still dirty, meaning they're causing failure of air quality regs

B) There's a lot less revenue unless they remove the low-carbon exemption. I expect if half the cars are electric over the next few years you'll see the zero emissions exemption disappear as well and they'll just bill by the axel or something.
    B) - it's all about revenue, always and forever.

When electric cars some in they'll have big problem as their take from petrol is very high, I reckon they'd mandate per mile charging on motorways using cameras that can already record number plates.

Leave a comment:

• seanraaron
    replied
    Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
    Well I suppose it's an incentive for manufacturers to keep cutting emmisions, also if I understand correctly any 5yr old used car will be 140 quid if under 40k new.
    It seems like a combination of realising that loads of people were switching to low-carbon diesel and

A) Even the "clean" ones are still dirty, meaning they're causing failure of air quality regs

B) There's a lot less revenue unless they remove the low-carbon exemption. I expect if half the cars are electric over the next few years you'll see the zero emissions exemption disappear as well and they'll just bill by the axel or something.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    My Outland Revenue manipulation scheme should work, until they retrospectively break my legs and thumbs, in their usual manner.
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    The list price of HMRC should be same as it is now for BIKs, which (could be mistake here) I believe list price for base model without extra options.

Ah I see. The estimate for the X in the US is $35k, which we all know will translate to £45k ish.

My HMRC manipulation scheme should work, until they retrospectively 'amend' the tax laws, in their usual manner.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Then yes? Buy the car at the list price, add the features later.
    The list price of HMRC should be same as it is now for BIKs, which (could be mistake here) I believe list price for base model without extra options.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    HMRC will be using list price
    Then yes? Buy the car at the list price, add the features later.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Would it be possible to game the system by disabling everything on the X
    HMRC will be using list price

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Well I suppose it's an incentive for manufacturers to keep cutting emission, also if I understand correctly any 5yr old used car will be 140 quid if under 40k new.

This 40k limit though is sure not to rise as fast as inflation, so will trap more and more cars per year. Also how does this work with cars like the Outlander Phev, currently it attracts no road tax but the range topping model is over 40k attracting the premium, yet it's as low emmission as all the other phevs. Seems poorly thought out.
    It should be interesting to see how this pans out with the Tesla X. On my S all the hardware is already there and I receive over the air software updates that enable new features.

Would it be possible to game the system by disabling everything on the X and then paying for features on collection of the car once it is licensed and taxed I wonder.

BMW should catch on to this. I remember being the mug who paid over £1200 for a TV tuner.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 25 February 2016, 20:48. Reason: Because Ebony and Ivory live together in perfect harmony.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Seems poorly thought out.
    It's well thought out to shaft the drivers.

Manufacturers will be forced to keep cutting emissions because EU requires them to do so.

Leave a comment:

• ZARDOZ
    replied
    Originally posted by anthony View Post
    Did anyone else notice this from the summer budget?

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...le-excise-duty
    Well I suppose it's an incentive for manufacturers to keep cutting emmisions, also if I understand correctly any 5yr old used car will be 140 quid if under 40k new.

This 40k limit though is sure not to rise as fast as inflation, so will trap more and more cars per year. Also how does this work with cars like the Outlander Phev, currently it attracts no road tax but the range topping model is over 40k attracting the premium, yet it's as low emmission as all the other phevs. Seems poorly thought out.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    They probably put a psychopath to do the job...

I love autocorrect on phones.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Emm the person who designs most cycle lanes not normally doesn't cycle otherwise they wouldn't put them in the most stupid place possible.
    They probably put a psychopath to do the job...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    Make the bastards pay for the shiny new cycle lanes that they don't use and that are causing so much disruption in London at the moment.
    Emm the person who designs most cycle lanes not normally doesn't cycle otherwise they wouldn't put them in the most stupid place possible.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
    That sounds harsh, I was going to suggest a "boot" that prevents you lifting your feet.
    It's a higher cost option, requires more training for installers and lacks minimum necessary deterrent required in this situation.

HTH

Leave a comment:

Working...
X