• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"I read somewhere..."

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say its a H&S issue and you can get away with most things!
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
      This is difficult to apply because in a conversation, if there is no other nations involved we feel stupid if we don't speak our language. It's not related with lack of respect and I believe that it's difficult for a native English speaker to understand because English it's the international language.
      For you it is but for some of my European friends' it isn't.

I actually find it funny that instead of speaking their mother tongue when with someone else they know or are introduced to from the same country/area they converse in English.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        For you it is but for some of my European friends' it isn't.

I actually find it funny that instead of speaking their mother tongue when with someone else they know or are introduced to from the same country/area they converse in English.
        Probably because you are there.

Comment

Probably because you are there.
          Nah I make a point of walking off and leaving them to it.

Then coming back and not overhearing/seeing a switch in language.

The people who do it tend to be Northern Europeans and/or learnt English before 7.

Comment

Nah I make a point of walking off and leaving them to it.

Then coming back and not overhearing/seeing a switch in language.

The people who do it tend to be Northern Europeans and/or learnt English before 7.
            I don't have that experience, and I worked with Northern, Central and South Europeans. Sorry.
            But with is I'm not telling you that it's impossible.

Comment

I don't have that experience, and I worked with Northern, Central and South Europeans. Sorry.
              But with is I'm not telling you that it's impossible.
              These are a mixture of people I've worked with and friends'.

Oh and they write English better than the majority of people on this board, which may have something to do with it.

Comment

At client site we foreigners have been banned from speaking German because it makes our Swiss and German colleagues ears hurt.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

These are a mixture of people I've worked with and friends'.

Oh and they write English better than the majority of people on this board, which may have something to do with it.
                  Of course, at work we must have more careful the way we write.

Comment

I was quite amused when my Indian colleague related the tale of the time he met another Indian gentleman on the street & after trying one or two Indian languages, they found their only common language was English.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
                      Interesting point - I was not having a go I was actually agreeing with you.

I am off to Germany next weekend - although my German is pretty rubbish I will make sure I can say the basics in the native tongue thats for sure - it's embarrassing if you ever go to a country and cannot say some basic phrases..

Anyway know any good bars in Cologne?
                      I didn't take any offense at all, don't worry (that's not that easy to achieve! ) Just saying that those foreigners who try to settle here don't like to be called guests.

I don't know any particular bars in Cologne I'm afraid. Last time I was there (ages ago), we did a crawl... one pub as good as any other eventually

Comment

Working...
                      X