• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank account fraud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank account fraud

Some little tulipe has been accessing my accounts and robbed 250 quid

I contacted the bank and after being passed to 3 separate departments (I called the fraud line right off the bat ) they then said it was my fault for getting a computer virus.

This was their postulation. Said hacker must have known my online banking details therefore the only way this was possible was via a keystroke logger.

So now the hunt begins (on my side) to try and figure out where the breach is. I access my online banking from 3 devices :

IPhone
    IPad
    Windows 8.1 laptop.

The latter has antivirus software installed (Malwarebytes) and is up to date. A scan last weekend was clean, and a further scan this evening was also clean.

Given that I don't respond to phishing emails, and never go to phishing sites also I am at a loss as to what I could personally have done better.

I never use online banking when connected to free / public wifi.

Any ideas?

Also the timeline starts yesterday morning when the miscreant contacted my mobile phone provider to order a new SIM. This got me disconnected so I wouldn't see my existing online banking account be deactivated and a new on re-registered using the mobile app. The miscreant could then just install the app, use his mobile number and enter my customer number and pin and weyhey.

I am at a loss as to how my SIM card got cancelled as you apparently need to quote the old sim number, which they wouldn't have had.

Again, any ideas how the phone got blagged? Cloned?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    The latter has antivirus software installed (Malwarebytes) and is up to date. A scan last weekend was clean, and a further scan this evening was also clean.
    Malwarebytes is probably the worst anti-virus, maybe marginally better than Windoze's free one ...

How the money were taken - via card payment or accessing online banking and making BACS/FP transfer?

Comment

Also the timeline starts yesterday morning when the miscreant contacted my mobile phone provider to order a new SIM. This got me disconnected so I wouldn't see my existing online banking account be deactivated and a new on re-registered using the mobile app. The miscreant could then just install the app, use his mobile number and enter my customer number and pin and weyhey.

Comment

they then said it was my fault for getting a computer virus.

This was their postulation. Said hacker must have known my online banking details therefore the only way this was possible was via a keystroke logger.
        That is ridiculous, I'd send them a written complaint if that was genuinely their response.

Tell them it's equally likely some underpaid tulip in their call centre nicked your details, and they can sort it out or explain to the ombudsman how they suddenly became internet columbo.
        Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

You need to put a complain in writing with the title "complaint" and use recorded delivery. If they respond with a brush off then contact the FOS. (I hope you have a phone call recording app on your phone or have taken proper notes of the calls.)

Alternatively if you can engage with someone on here through PMs who dabbles in mobile apps and security before writing to the bank, it would be worth going to the media.

As while the app issue is the bank's fault, having SIM card issues is your mobile providers fault so it would make an interesting story.

No one in the retail banking sector would want people refusing to use their apps because it wasn't safe.

BTW apps aren't suppose to allow you to set up new recipients. However some banks with apps make you use your mobile phone to authorise new recipients or transactions......
          Last edited by SueEllen; 19 December 2015, 07:41.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Which is why I don't use mobile banking.

HTH.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Which is why I don't use mobile banking.

HTH.
              WCS
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Mind you Suity has done everything he can to keep safe.

The next step is to go For a MacBook...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Is this one of those banks which has it's own recommended anti virus stuff it prompts you download every time you log in?

I think HSBC and Yorkshire Bank use 'Rapport'. Have you got that installed?

Comment

I use Rapport as recommended by NatWest. A virus scanner isn't enough as there are always new viruses that they don't spot until they've been spread. Definitely need some additional monitoring.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 19 December 2015, 10:13.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X