• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank account fraud

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It always happens to Suity....

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Some little tulipe has been accessing my accounts and robbed 250 quid
      Well, that's 2 months of starvation for the family even after handouts from the food bank !

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      Again, any ideas how the phone got blagged? Cloned?
      Has the wife been using it recently?

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        There always has to be someone gullible around.

Though to be fair one of my credit cards numbers has recently been stolen.

As the use follows the pattern of one of my family members with the same issuer whose card was kept in a drawer and was used abroad first, it's either a good guess or an inside job.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Malwarebytes is probably the worst anti-virus, maybe marginally better than Windoze's free one ...

How the money were taken - via card payment or accessing online banking and making BACS/FP transfer?
          Changing to Kaspersky. It was arranged using the mobile app. The scrote got my phone cancelled, then re-registered the app on his phone. The fact that his was able to register the app to a phone number that wasn't on my account record seems like a gaping hole in their security. Although the mobile phone company handing out new SIMs like smarties doesn't help either.

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
          That is ridiculous, I'd send them a written complaint if that was genuinely their response.

Tell them it's equally likely some underpaid tulip in their call centre nicked your details, and they can sort it out or explain to the ombudsman how they suddenly became internet columbo.
          I'm piecing this together and I think I have established the attack vector as being DNS poisoning attack at my new digs in Bolton.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You need to put a complain in writing with the title "complaint" and use recorded delivery. If they respond with a brush off then contact the FOS. (I hope you have a phone call recording app on your phone or have taken proper notes of the calls.)

Alternatively if you can engage with someone on here through PMs who dabbles in mobile apps and security before writing to the bank, it would be worth going to the media.

As while the app issue is the bank's fault, having SIM card issues is your mobile providers fault so it would make an interesting story.

No one in the retail banking sector would want people refusing to use their apps because it wasn't safe.

BTW apps aren't suppose to allow you to set up new recipients. However some banks with apps make you use your mobile phone to authorise new recipients or transactions......
          Precisely what happened. The scrote got my phone cancelled. I imagine by telling the mobile phone company that the phone was lost or stolen and they already had a spare handset. Remember the don't know the password on my account, but they do know my bank details, dates of direct debits, amounts etc. So the mobile phone company may have taken this knowledge as proof of identity, but I'm assured they need to know the password as well, so how this was bypassed is still a mystery. Going to the meeja does seem like a logical next step.

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          Mind you Suity has done everything he can to keep safe.

The next step is to go For a MacBook...

Actually I'm taking some further precautionary measures. Changing mobile phone number, ultimately changing provider. Changing banks. Installing a packet logger on my laptop, and looking into some way of detecting dns poisoning attacks. I am installing a VPN at Suity Towers, so if I'm away and need to do banking I can tunnel in securely, to a virtual machine that is dedicated for only online banking.

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Is this one of those banks which has it's own recommended anti virus stuff it prompts you download every time you log in?

I think HSBC and Yorkshire Bank use 'Rapport'. Have you got that installed?
          It is. They do recommend rapport. I don't use it as it's not very good. That said the attack vector wasn't malware, and the machine is clean.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          It does seem to, doesn't it.

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          There always has to be someone gullible around.

Though to be fair one of my credit cards numbers has recently been stolen.

As the use follows the pattern of one of my family members with the same issuer whose card was kept in a drawer and was used abroad first, it's either a good guess or an inside job.
          I don't think I've been gullible, I think I've been unlucky. I shall of course now take extreme measures to make my own luck in future.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I'd suggest getting a 4G wifi dongle thingy rather than relying on the wifi at places you stay - as you've discovered, there can be serious risks associated with using open wifi for anything beyond trivial browsing, and even that can open you to attack against your device's network stack.

The downside is that you then have yet another mobile device over which you have to wrestle with a useless mobile operator

But it's also useful at clients that allow personal devices, as you can use your own kit to post to CUK all day long without it showing up in their gateway logs

EDIT: I got a Onetouch Link Y800 on EE 4G (hardware suggested by SimonMac - ta SM!) a year or so ago, and apart from EE being somewhat unreliable from time to time, the device itself has been fine. I would assume there are later models available now, or there's always tethering to your phone.
            Last edited by NickFitz; 19 December 2015, 11:43.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              I'd suggest getting a 4G wifi dongle thingy rather than relying on the wifi at places you stay - as you've discovered, there can be serious risks associated with using open wifi for anything beyond trivial browsing, and even that can open you to attack against your device's network stack.

The downside is that you then have yet another mobile device over which you have to wrestle with a useless mobile operator

But it's also useful at clients that allow personal devices, as you can use your own kit to post to CUK all day long without it showing up in their gateway logs

EDIT: I got a Onetouch Link Y800 on EE 4G (hardware suggested by SimonMac - ta SM!) a year or so ago, and apart from EE being somewhat unreliable from time to time, the device itself has been fine. I would assume there are later models available now, or there's always tethering to your phone.
              Agree with all of that, and thanks for the advice. The place I stay is residential, and the broadband is BT Home Hub. It is starting to look like one of their DNS servers was poisoned, although I have no way of proving it.

Comment

Changing to Kaspersky.

I think I have established the attack vector as being DNS poisoning attack at my new digs in Bolton.

Installing a packet logger on my laptop, and looking into some way of detecting dns poisoning attacks. I am installing a VPN at Suity Towers, so if I'm away and need to do banking I can tunnel in securely, to a virtual machine that is dedicated for only online banking.

They do recommend rapport. I don't use it as it's not very good. That said the attack vector wasn't malware, and the machine is clean.

Comment

So glad I'm a complete mobile phone luddite - It avoids such a lot of complications like this
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

In Feb my contract ends and I am going to upgrade to an iphone5s. No way I am installing banking on there. And I might remove banking apps from my ipad.

Thanks for sharing suity. Very difficult for you - hopefully we can learn from your misfortune.

I am amazed you only got 1 nasty comment here. It shows you are well liked! I would have got far more than 1...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      In Feb my contract ends and I am going to upgrade to an iphone5s. No way I am installing banking on there. And I might remove banking apps from my ipad.

Thanks for sharing suity. Very difficult for you - hopefully we can learn from your misfortune.

I am amazed you only got 1 nasty comment here. It shows you are well liked! I would have got far more than 1...
                      It shows everyone has a cracking hangover after Black Friday and can't be arsed to dish some out.

Further updates for those who may follow this thread in the future.

I have reported this to Action Fraud. Action Fraud.

Also I have registered me n her indoors for the cifas service. https://www.cifas.org.uk/

Edit : Also bought one of these http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computi...19995-pdt.html which does VPN.
                      Last edited by suityou01; 19 December 2015, 13:06.

Comment

Working...
                      X