• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Bank account fraud

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Bank account fraud"

Collapse

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    And more crappiest bank Natwest security news If NatWest texts you about online banking fraud, don't click the link • The Register

How the feck did they obtain those mobile numbers?

How do PPI scammers get them, or the accident claim mob? If nothing else, it's pretty trivial to just spam SMSs at assorted numbers, and to spoof the source number. There's nothing in the story to suggest that only NatWest customers are receiving the messages. It's just phishing, exactly as scattergun as email spam, and as easy to spoof.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Switch banks.

Nationwide Building Society, great service, IT centre in Swindon, no bank shareholders, good IT security.
    Not to Nationwide they take long term customers for granted and lie on the phone when they make a mistake as not to resolve the issue. (One reason why I have a recording app on my mobile.)

However do change banks.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Switch banks.

Nationwide Building Society, great service, IT centre in Swindon, no bank shareholders, good IT security.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    And more crappiest bank Natwest security news If NatWest texts you about online banking fraud, don't click the link • The Register

Yup this also happened to me. I reported it to their fraud team, and sent emails with screenshots. It took them a week to do anything about it, and I imagine a week is a lot of successful phishing for the scumbags.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Yeah but Suity doesn't listen to anyone

Sometimes it's worth embarrassing large companies.

Suity could have had a nice spread in a broadsheet with IT consultant under his name looking like he's an expert in cyber crime.
    Harsh and not fair. I did write to EE and ask them for the details as prescribed here. They refused. "It's not a service they provide".

What should I do next?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

How the feck did they those mobile numbers?

Huh?

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied

How the feck did they those mobile numbers?

Well Im sure that nat west encrypt their databases at rest so it could never accidentally pop out the back door on the end of a disgruntled worker...

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied

Last edited by cojak; 4 March 2016, 15:18. Reason: added 'obtain'

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Dactylion View Post

Suity is a muppet.
    Suity is a well meaning and well intention muppet.
    Suity was out of his depth.
    Suity had heard of some trendy stuff so posted that he'd done some trendy things.
    It was pointed out that Suity was a muppet - and because he didn't really understand the trendy stuff he had done, he hadn't really done what he thought.

Just a typical Suity tale of woe
    hth
    Thought so.

Next week, Suity finds a cure for cancer on his humble Raspberry Pi.

Leave a comment:

• Dactylion
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can someone please summarise all the crap in this thread?

Suity is a muppet.
    Suity is a well meaning and well intention muppet.
    Suity was out of his depth.
    Suity had heard of some trendy stuff so posted that he'd done some trendy things.
    It was pointed out that Suity was a muppet - and because he didn't really understand the trendy stuff he had done, he hadn't really done what he thought.

Just a typical Suity tale of woe
    hth

Leave a comment:

• OnceStonedRose
    replied
    Missus noticed a few payments from her account for ITunes billing, she doesn't have ichewnz so rang the bank, RBS, and no questions asked, as soon as she said that just said we'll refund immediately. This sets alarm bells off with me, for them to not even question must mean they have been done many many times recently, made me windrr if they've misplaced customers details or something.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    If somebody has access to your computer's loopback interface, they've already pwned you and your computer. You might as well complain that your keyboard sends your password keystrokes in cleartext across the USB interface.

And it's not as simple as "how to do key exchange/storage". The company that make 1password have already addressed this subject in a detailed blog post from last June: https://blog.agilebits.com/2015/06/1...on-discussion/

But that's not quite as trendy as a clickbait headline on Medium
    The difference is when they get at your machine Rapport (if you are using it will prevent a key logger recording your strokes) but now if they get on all they need to do is tcpdump your loopback and all the data will float past at some point in time...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Nope that wasn't his scam.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Email scam costs couple £25,000 – but no one will help | Money | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Can someone please summarise all the crap in this thread?

In terms a Daily Mail () reader could understand, how do they nick the phone details, hijack the phone, gain access to the bank account etc?

Nationwide has a security dongle you have to put you debit card in + pin to generate a secure number if you want to move money out. I don't have or use a phone for banking (sounds like a bad idea to me).

Leave a comment:

Working...
X