• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living in a Camper Van

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living in a Camper Van

This is not a question vis a vis the legality of claiming a Winnebago as a business expense just more a question of the logistics of it.

E.g. where to park up do you find a campsite? public carpark (is that even legal?), park in client's carpark?

Could you put a wood burner in one?

Do you get cabin fever?

I'd be interested to hear of any experiences any of you may have had.

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post

My experience was along these lines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsuAL54IN6M

Comment

The Lady in the Van trailer: Maggie Smith plays the woman who lived in Alan Bennett's front yard - video | Film | The Guardian
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Camper Van?

What are you, a fookin hippy?

At least you will have somewhere, isolated and safe, where you can rock out to Phil Collins
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm sure people have discussed caravans and RVs a few times on the forums. For a single guy it's quite reasonable if you can find a site, but a proper camp-site seems a better idea to me.

Or find someone to let you park in their field.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If you can find a camper one than this i'd be impressed

Comment

public carpark (is that even legal?)
              I'm sure the resident doggers will make room
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Wiltshire seems nice:

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Scroatman View Post
                  This is not a question vis a vis the legality of claiming a Winnebago as a business expense just more a question of the logistics of it.

E.g. where to park up do you find a campsite? public carpark (is that even legal?), park in client's carpark?

Could you put a wood burner in one?

Do you get cabin fever?

it depends on the country more than anything else. England is particularly difficult, and in England I always parked in a campsite. I preferred the "certificated location" or something like that from either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravanning Club: usually about £12 a night but the only facilities are mains power, water supply, and water and toilet disposal; so you have to have a self-contained motorhome.

In Paris I slept on the street in a van for a while. I moved it every night so the locals didn't get upset: I figure the local police would know I was there but if they see you're keeping a low profile and not settling down, and they get no complaints, they don't hassle you. Don't try that in London.

In Frankfurt I had a colleague who parked his camper in the office car park and even once had an office barbecue there, inviting the bosses too. Probably wouldn't go down well in England either, the English just don't have the flexibility and sense of humour that the Germans do.

People do put wood-burners into campers, especially DIY campers, and it has its appeal, but it is so much hassle in that small space. Maybe worth it for the atmosphere in a ski-ing camper but not for a working one.

I never got cabin fever. I upgraded to a bigger motorhome (Hymer B584) and it was perfect. If I were still living the same life I'd still be enjoying it.

Comment

I worked with a bloke who lived in a motor cruiser on the canal. Seemed like a good solution in the summer, but freezing in the winter. Cheap though.

Comment

Working...
                    X