• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living in a Camper Van

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I sat next to a contractor who parked his motorhome in the clients car park and lived in it during the week. Worked out well client was happy etc.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
      I sat next to a contractor who parked his motorhome in the clients car park and lived in it during the week. Worked out well client was happy etc.
      I've also sat next to a guy who commuted in by flying his own plane to the airfield next to client site. Nice guy too.

Comment

If the client's happy that's a great setup though I can't imagine many would.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I worked in Zurich with a German contractor who lived in a motor-home. A bit of a commute from the camp-sites outside Zurich, as the local sites close for the winter.
          Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Respray it pink and then it'll be a little camper.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Respray it pink and then it'll be a little camper.
              This tickled me immensely.
              I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Good to see Walter Mitty has acquired a camper van now. Whatever next ?
                Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

This would be particularly useful in London as It would sae me 4 nights a week in a hotel if I move to Scotland.

Comment

When I worked at Microsoft, a contractor was sleeping in a van in the client car park and using the showers and toilets at work, eating from the vending machines, etc. Security noticed and notified the big bosses, and he was marched off site.

Don't think that lifestyle fitted the corporate image. They like people who live in a Barratt Home and drive an Audi TT.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      When I worked at Microsoft, a contractor was sleeping in a van in the client car park and using the showers and toilets at work, eating from the vending machines, etc. Security noticed and notified the big bosses, and he was marched off site.

Don't think that lifestyle fitted the corporate image. They like people who live in a Barratt Home and drive an Audi TT.
                      Some years ago I slept in a van (not a camper) on a short contract in Paris, but I parked it on the street. I never parked in the same place 2 nights running, and while I suspect the police may have known I was doing it, they never hassled me presumably because nobody hassled them about it.

That was in midwinter, which didn't bother me because I often camp out in a tent in colder places, but I suspect that may have helped to avoid being noticed: everybody who passed was intent on getting into their warm houses or offices.

I will note that if you do camp in a stealth van like that, you pretty soon notice that you are not the only one.

I may be doing it again soon because my lovely motorhome may be immobile, and if I take one more 6-monther, or max 2 of them, it will be in order to put the absolute max into my pension before never working again. If the choice is stay in a hotel every night, or stealth camp and work weeks or months less, that's a no-brainer for me. However I should add that my idea of leisure is camping in wilderness in freezing conditions, and travelling for months in the third world, so I'm ok with sleeping in a van.

Comment

Working...
                      X