• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Living in a Camper Van"

Collapse

• milanbenes
    replied
    Originally posted by expat View Post
    it depends on the country more than anything else. England is particularly difficult, and in England I always parked in a campsite. I preferred the "certificated location" or something like that from either the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravanning Club: usually about £12 a night but the only facilities are mains power, water supply, and water and toilet disposal; so you have to have a self-contained motorhome.

In Paris I slept on the street in a van for a while. I moved it every night so the locals didn't get upset: I figure the local police would know I was there but if they see you're keeping a low profile and not settling down, and they get no complaints, they don't hassle you. Don't try that in London.

In Frankfurt I had a colleague who parked his camper in the office car park and even once had an office barbecue there, inviting the bosses too. Probably wouldn't go down well in England either, the English just don't have the flexibility and sense of humour that the Germans do.

People do put wood-burners into campers, especially DIY campers, and it has its appeal, but it is so much hassle in that small space. Maybe worth it for the atmosphere in a ski-ing camper but not for a working one.

I never got cabin fever. I upgraded to a bigger motorhome (Hymer B584) and it was perfect. If I were still living the same life I'd still be enjoying it.

I can quite believe it for Paris.

Had two nights in Paris in the summer with the wife and children.

We stayed in a hotel on the Place de Republique, I was extremely surprised at:

a) the number of beggars in Paris

b) the number of people blatently living in tents on the streets in the center of Paris

there was even a family living in a tent on the pavement with their care parked next to it, and they would pack up the tent in the morning and drive away and come back in the evening

we drove to Paris in the taxi, and this was another thing, entering the city, the number of urchins at the traffic lights trying to scam for money by "cleaning" the window, the taxi stands out a bit especially in Paris where everybody is driving beaten up bangers, totally the opposite of central London, and eventually I was driving through red traffic lights rather than getting ambushed by the thieves running the window cleaning scam.

blimey, very eye opening trip

Milan.

p.s. I guess once Brexit is completed and the Jungle is moved to Kent, London will then be like Paris - be careful what you wish for !

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Environment Agency, circa 2004? Warwickshire / Staffs area?
    If it's the same bloke I remember hearing about, he had a right good scam going. He was actually boat-sitting (and being paid for it) and claiming full hire expenses at tourist rates. Plus he was banging more than one. Loads more than one. Kiwi, iirc, and he left the country rather suddenly, we were sure it was a letter from HMRC which prompted the swift departure, but it could always have been the CSA.
    nope he was a Brit and it was back in the nineties. It was a Quango rather than an actual department.

Though there were rumours he was fishing more than one pond.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    one of our PMs did that on a big job.

He had a little stove and the canal barge was well insulated, he never complained of the cold.

he was tupping one of the client contacts as well so maybe she kept him warm?
    Environment Agency, circa 2004? Warwickshire / Staffs area?
    If it's the same bloke I remember hearing about, he had a right good scam going. He was actually boat-sitting (and being paid for it) and claiming full hire expenses at tourist rates. Plus he was banging more than one. Loads more than one. Kiwi, iirc, and he left the country rather suddenly, we were sure it was a letter from HMRC which prompted the swift departure, but it could always have been the CSA.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Archangel View Post
    I worked with a bloke who lived in a motor cruiser on the canal. Seemed like a good solution in the summer, but freezing in the winter. Cheap though.
    one of our PMs did that on a big job.

He had a little stove and the canal barge was well insulated, he never complained of the cold.

he was tupping one of the client contacts as well so maybe she kept him warm?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Criticular View Post
    Do you break any law by living in a van legally parked on a public road?
    Councils have bylaws so it depends on who "owns" that public road.

Quite a few places have land set aside for travellers, or you can just go find a field and camp in it until the owner complains. They then have to evict you.

Leave a comment:

• Criticular
    replied
    Some years ago I slept in a van (not a camper) on a short contract in Paris, but I parked it on the street. I never parked in the same place 2 nights running, and while I suspect the police may have known I was doing it, they never hassled me presumably because nobody hassled them about it.
    Do you break any law by living in a van legally parked on a public road?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
    This would be particularly useful in London as It would sae me 4 nights a week in a hotel if I move to Scotland.
    Bear in mind the additional cost of taking a motorhome which doesn't meet the London emission standards into London - for example, my VW T4 camper doesn't so it costs an absolute fortune if we wanted to take it in.

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    A contractor I worked with in the East Midlands used to camp in a tent in a farmers field. Ex forces guy. He said the worst bit was noise from planes coming into E.M. airport.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Some years ago I slept in a van (not a camper) on a short contract in Paris, but I parked it on the street. I never parked in the same place 2 nights running, and while I suspect the police may have known I was doing it, they never hassled me presumably because nobody hassled them about it.

That was in midwinter, which didn't bother me because I often camp out in a tent in colder places, but I suspect that may have helped to avoid being noticed: everybody who passed was intent on getting into their warm houses or offices.

I will note that if you do camp in a stealth van like that, you pretty soon notice that you are not the only one.

I may be doing it again soon because my lovely motorhome may be immobile, and if I take one more 6-monther, or max 2 of them, it will be in order to put the absolute max into my pension before never working again. If the choice is stay in a hotel every night, or stealth camp and work weeks or months less, that's a no-brainer for me. However I should add that my idea of leisure is camping in wilderness in freezing conditions, and travelling for months in the third world, so I'm ok with sleeping in a van.
    I was working in Scotland and one of the chaps (from Blackburn) lived in a shiity caravan in a field in Eccelfechan (Fechan to the locals) with a 13" black and white porty and an oil heater. Not my idea of even basic living but normal for Scotland and Blackburn.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    When I worked at Microsoft, a contractor was sleeping in a van in the client car park and using the showers and toilets at work, eating from the vending machines, etc. Security noticed and notified the big bosses, and he was marched off site.

Don't think that lifestyle fitted the corporate image. They like people who live in a Barratt Home and drive an Audi TT.

That was in midwinter, which didn't bother me because I often camp out in a tent in colder places, but I suspect that may have helped to avoid being noticed: everybody who passed was intent on getting into their warm houses or offices.

I will note that if you do camp in a stealth van like that, you pretty soon notice that you are not the only one.

I may be doing it again soon because my lovely motorhome may be immobile, and if I take one more 6-monther, or max 2 of them, it will be in order to put the absolute max into my pension before never working again. If the choice is stay in a hotel every night, or stealth camp and work weeks or months less, that's a no-brainer for me. However I should add that my idea of leisure is camping in wilderness in freezing conditions, and travelling for months in the third world, so I'm ok with sleeping in a van.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    When I worked at Microsoft, a contractor was sleeping in a van in the client car park and using the showers and toilets at work, eating from the vending machines, etc. Security noticed and notified the big bosses, and he was marched off site.

Don't think that lifestyle fitted the corporate image. They like people who live in a Barratt Home and drive an Audi TT.

Leave a comment:

• KentDogWalker
    replied
    Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
    I sat next to a contractor who parked his motorhome in the clients car park and lived in it during the week. Worked out well client was happy etc.
    This would be particularly useful in London as It would sae me 4 nights a week in a hotel if I move to Scotland.

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Good to see Walter Mitty has acquired a camper van now. Whatever next ?

Leave a comment:

• LucidDementia
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Respray it pink and then it'll be a little camper.
    This tickled me immensely.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Respray it pink and then it'll be a little camper.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X