• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The official "Autumn Statement 2015" AKA "End of Contracting" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Employment intermediaries and tax relief for travel and subsistence – As confirmed at Summer Budget 2015, the government will legislate to restrict tax relief for travel and subsistence expenses for workers engaged through an employment intermediary, such as an umbrella company or a personal service company. Following consultation, relief will be restricted for individuals working through personal service companies where the intermediaries legislation applies. This change will take effect from 6 April 2016.
    So, no travel and subsistence if you're IR35 caught?

Comment

Originally posted by pjt View Post
      Quick scan suggests no IR35 details though.

All I can find is:

Disguised remuneration – The government intends to take action against those who have used or continue to use disguised remuneration schemes and who have not yet paid their fair share of tax. The government will also consider legislating in a future Finance Bill to close down any further new schemes intended to avoid tax on earned income, where necessary, with effect from 25 November 2015.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

From the detailed document!!

Employment intermediaries and tax relief for travel and subsistence – As confirmed at Summer Budget 2015, the government will legislate to restrict tax relief for travel and subsistence expenses for workers engaged through an employment intermediary, such as an umbrella company or a personal service company. Following consultation, relief will be restricted for individuals working through personal service companies where the intermediaries legislation applies. This change will take effect from 6 April 2016.
        So from this can we take it we're only hit with this under IR35? I can live with that.

Comment

"3.92 Capital Gains Tax entrepreneurs’ relief: contrived structures
          – The government will consider bringing forward legislation to amend the changes made by Finance Act 2015 to
          entrepreneurs’ relief, in order to support businesses by ensuring that the relief is available on
          certain genuine commercial transactions"

Nothing else on it yet.

The way I read it this means they'll stop PSCs from claiming it for sure, probably most small companies that won't fit "genuine commercial transactions" - meaning, if you shut down your business you won't get ER.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            That's how I understand it.
            Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              For now I'm hoping that's the case! Have we dodged a bullet??

Comment

T&S confirmed
                HMG to cut use of agencies/contractors by 20%

Can't see anything else searching for;

Contractor
                Freelance
                Intermediary
                http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Nothing obvious, but I note two paragraphs in particular on p.123

3.85 Company distributions – The government will publish a consultation on the rules concerning company distributions later in the year. The government will also amend the Transactions in Securities rules and introduce a Targeted Anti-Avoidance Rule in order to prevent opportunities for income to be converted to capital in order to gain a tax advantage. (Finance Bill 2016) (18)
                  3.87 Disguised remuneration – The government intends to take action against those who have used or continue to use disguised remuneration schemes and who have not yet paid their fair share of tax. The government will also consider legislating in a future Finance Bill to close down any further new schemes intended to avoid tax on earned income, where necessary, with effect from 25 November 2015.

Comment

So from this can we take it we're only hit with this under IR35? I can live with that.
                    Reads like that to me
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Think so which to me is a my work there was of use.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X