• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why we MUST ditch our lazy attitude to finding work through agents and agencies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It would be a pain in the ass the manage though, unless an accountancy firm 'managed' it for you.
    Already having a couple of early conversations, initially the important bit is to have someone, on a PSL, to help you get in, factor invoices etc. for a fee / commission.
    The other important thing is to factor the agreement so you can detach yourself at a later (contracted) time, hopefully, by then, you will have earnt the right to get on the PSL off your own back.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I don't know if this has already been asked by anyone and forgive me if I seem unduly paranoid but is there any chance there could be any retrospective aspect to any IR35 reworking?

i.e. In my current contract I'm reasonably confident of being outside IR35 & I will no longer be in this role if and when the new changes are implemented.

So, could they go back over the last 6 years and judge my previous contracts according to the new rules?

I'm guessing not. That could only happen in a totalitarian regime...

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        No doubt HMR&C would call it a "scam" and "deliberate tax avoidance" and take you all to court.

It almost like anything that isn't a big Tory donor consultancy must be crushed....
        Thing is, how exactly would you differentiate between this and an IT consultancy firm that outsources it's admin and accountancy functionality? In fact, would this not be an IT Consultancy firm that outsources it's admin and accountancy functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltchy View Post
          Thing is, how exactly would you differentiate between this and an IT consultancy firm that outsources it's admin and accountancy functionality? In fact, would this not be an IT Consultancy firm that outsources it's admin and accountancy functionality.
          You got it, I cannot see this approach wouldn't "fix" the issue.
          I already know of one group that are doing this at an IB.

If you have a group of individuals that are already highly respected and known, you will find people will come to talk to you.
          This is why I have started investigating this, in the first instance, a few months ago.
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Contract recruiter here...

We're currently discussing how on earth we will function as an agency if this all goes through, as the way we do business is going to be fundamentally turned on its head.

The main option that we're coming up with, if things are a bad as they seem, it to provide contractors in the same way that permies are hired, eg. we take an intro fee and then you guys work out the commercials, as if travel expenses go for anyone through an agency, there is zero chance of filling roles in some area's - I do alot of recruitment in the North East (yes, there are SOME companies up here that hire contractors); and there is literally zero local talent that is available - we HAVE to re-locate people for most contracts.

Either that, or accept the golden days of recruitment are dead for good, and look at something else...

Comment

Originally posted by czakky View Post
              Contract recruiter here...

We're currently discussing how on earth we will function as an agency if this all goes through, as the way we do business is going to be fundamentally turned on its head.

The main option that we're coming up with, if things are a bad as they seem, it to provide contractors in the same way that permies are hired, eg. we take an intro fee and then you guys work out the commercials, as if travel expenses go for anyone through an agency, there is zero chance of filling roles in some area's - I do alot of recruitment in the North East (yes, there are SOME companies up here that hire contractors); and there is literally zero local talent that is available - we HAVE to re-locate people for most contracts.

Either that, or accept the golden days of recruitment are dead for good, and look at something else...
              So is the Recruitment industry making representations about this as well?

If not, why not?

As you say, it stands to have a major impact on your business model.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
                I don't know if this has already been asked by anyone and forgive me if I seem unduly paranoid but is there any chance there could be any retrospective aspect to any IR35 reworking?

i.e. In my current contract I'm reasonably confident of being outside IR35 & I will no longer be in this role if and when the new changes are implemented.

So, could they go back over the last 6 years and judge my previous contracts according to the new rules?

I'm guessing not. That could only happen in a totalitarian regime...

No, of course not.

Your degree of being "caught by IR35", for want of a better expression, can only be determined by the law that was extant at that time.

Now, if your current contract (which you say will be over by April but, hey - who knows in this game gets extended then I'm gussing that the new legislation (if indeed, there is any) will apply back to the start of that engagement. So yes, in that respect there could be some retrospection but I wouldn't worry about every contract you've undertaken during the last 6 years being examined under a new set of rules.

Comment

Originally posted by czakky View Post
                  I do alot of recruitment in the North East (yes, there are SOME companies up here that hire contractors); and there is literally zero local talent that is available - we HAVE to re-locate people for most contracts.
                  That doesn't sound very likely. Me and Eek are both in the NE
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    So is the Recruitment industry making representations about this as well?

If not, why not?

As you say, it stands to have a major impact on your business model.
                    To be brutal, about 80% of people in recruitment are retards who give the industry an awful name, and I doubt alot of them are even aware of this, they are too busy trying to hit KPI's and generate leads from candidates. And my god, I wish this was a lie, but it's not.

The larger players in the industry are worried, although most of the larger players generate most of their revenue outside of the UK; the European/USA/APEC region is currently a very good place to do business in comparison to our lovely isle.

Umbrella companies are starting to make noise about this, and the normal route for "on the ground" recruiters to hear about these changes are through these bodies.

In terms of official line, the industry is so fragmented I doubt we'll come up with one - I really wish it could happen, and any information I can help with as a push back to this, I'm happy to offer - just PM me what you want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      That doesn't sound very likely. Me and Eek are both in the NE
                      As were many of the colleagues I've worked with at various clients... In fact the reason why we live where we do is because it has decent communication links (can get round Europe via the local airport and Amsterdam, London by train is 2 and a bit hours)..
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X