• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Family members - how do they view you contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
    The reasons are very clear.
    That may be so but I've never been the sort to broadcast this type of information, the majority of my family are very materialistic where as I'm not. Whatever I have has been earned by hard work and not fortune. They constantly like to tell me how well my brother is doing (he owns a roofing company) yet only now after 9 years has he finally managed to buy a house, go figure.
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Look under the patio. 'Nuff said.
      Mine we all in a better place

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        They don't ask, I don't tell. They've no idea what I do beyond "something to do with computers" and not a clue how much I earn.

You lot must have some weird family if they are obsessed with what you earn and how you earn it.
        what the prawn said. they occasionally ask what i actually do but their eyes glaze by the end of the second sentence. thankfully there's enough clients out there who want assistance with *their* visions. it'll be 12 years of contracting in august and by the end of the year i'll have been working for my ltd co for longer than the longest of any previous employment so they are all used it. the biggest hurdle to understanding was definitely the wife - she was always asking me to get a permanent job with one of the end clients or integrators or software houses but that stopped some years ago now.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
          "Permie jobs don't pay as well as my contracts" should put his gas at a peep.

Then he'll want to know what you earn, and you can really wind him up by saying "I don't like to discuss my salary* with people".

*Keep it simple for him and just say salary.
          permie job pays as much as my last full time contract but I don't have 2.5 hours commuting on top. The pension is final salary.

Unlike Zeity postal urges are limited I work in a small team of quite clever people, the stupid people are kept at a distance. I'm sure my colleagues regard me as a reason to go postal.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

When I was contracting my wife was terrified and was against it ... until the money started rolling in!

Most of my family were happy for me, I just referred to it as running my own business. My brother in law is now doing an OU course in software because he wants to earn the same money I was on ... because it is just that easy ....

Currently I am poor permie scum but I needed the regularity for family reasons and I actually love this job.

There is a hog roast on Friday and the MD wants me to turn up in armour, sword fight with him and knock him into the river. No one minds me doing sword work and running in armour around the car park, we are brewing beer in the kitchen, the MD found out I was teaching self defence to some of the people here at lunchtimes so he bought us equipment including a company punchbag. The work is interesting and there is not a single person here I do not get on with. There are teams doing everything from writing a compiler, to writing the GUI and I am allowed to chop and change teams if I get bored.

Apart from the 45 minute commute and slightly long hours the place is perfect!
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              When I was contracting my wife was terrified and was against it ... until the money started rolling in!

Most of my family were happy for me, I just referred to it as running my own business. My brother in law is now doing an OU course in software because he wants to earn the same money I was on ... because it is just that easy ....

Currently I am poor permie scum but I needed the regularity for family reasons and I actually love this job.

There is a hog roast on Friday and the MD wants me to turn up in armour, sword fight with him and knock him into the river. No one minds me doing sword work and running in armour around the car park, we are brewing beer in the kitchen, the MD found out I was teaching self defence to some of the people here at lunchtimes so he bought us equipment including a company punchbag. The work is interesting and there is not a single person here I do not get on with. There are teams doing everything from writing a compiler, to writing the GUI and I am allowed to chop and change teams if I get bored.

Apart from the 45 minute commute and slightly long hours the place is perfect!
              You are David Brent and I claim my five 'duh duh duh duh duh da!, duh duh duh duh duh da!''s
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                You are David Brent and I claim my five 'duh duh duh duh duh da!, duh duh duh duh duh da!''s
                Nah, he was a glorious manager and I am just a lowly engineer
                "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                  Mine are a nightmare especially my old man. They just don't get why someone would want to only work for 3 months at a time, have no job security, no sick pay, no holiday pay, and work in different places.

Of course, I don't tell them how much I earn which might make them change their mind.

My old man, like I said, is the worse of the lot. He is 80 though. Still waiting for me to get a 'proper' job and stop 'messing around'.
                  Dignitas.

HTH.
                  Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    Dignitas.

HTH.
                    you booked yourself in yet?

I always believe people should try a place / service first hand before recommending it...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      you booked yourself in yet?

I always believe people should try a place / service first hand before recommending it...
                      He's working on their CRM. He was wondering if he should take their customers off their mailing list once they'd finished their treatment.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X