• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About contractors & benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I find strange is, how can you be employed but not working?
    In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
      How else would you explain MarillionFan?

Comment

Easy.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          How else would you explain MarillionFan?
          Very true

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Easy.
          Perhaps I'm just confusing myself SE, I pay myself as a Director so if I'm unemployed does that mean I'm no longer a Director of MyCo? Not that I've ever considered what happens as I've been fortunate to be in B2B contracts for a few years.
          In Scooter we trust

Comment

Psycho - do you not have income protection insurance?
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Very true

Perhaps I'm just confusing myself SE, I pay myself as a Director so if I'm unemployed does that mean I'm no longer a Director of MyCo? Not that I've ever considered what happens as I've been fortunate to be in B2B contracts for a few years.
              Director = Office holder not employee.

You may well need a contract of employment if you and give yourself a p45 when you leave.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/director

If a person does other work that’s not related to being a director, they may have an employment contract and get employment rights.
              their duties are minimal, and are only those required under the relevant statute, constitution or trust deed
              they don’t get a salary or any other form of regular payment for their services
              https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/office-holder
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Just read the links and it makes a lot more sense now thanks Vetran
                In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                  Psycho - do you not have income protection insurance?
                  You mean for things like redundancy? No. To be honest its a grey area and I dont think you'd get this past an insurance company. i.e. own company just made myself redundant etc.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Director = Office holder not employee.

You may well need a contract of employment if you and give yourself a p45 when you leave.

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/director

https://www.gov.uk/employment-status/office-holder
                    Like I said 'tis the greyest area on a grey day in greyland.....
                    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Yep. Had a long discussion with a jobcentre person about it once.

If you worked in a factory, and the factory had no work, your employer could tell you not to come in. Then for the time you are not working, you can claim JSA because you have been laid off temporarily.

Same applies to self-employed if your wondering. It is quite legal to say I have no work and to claim JSA for this time.
                      PC, I don't doubt the legality of it, but it's not about that for me. When I decided to become a contractor I knew what I was signing up to, bench time included, and it is quite different to what a factory worker signs up to. To me JSA is not for contractors between contracts.

Comment

Working...
                      X