• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

About contractors & benefits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Actually there are people who still have a conscience about these things not just on this forum. You may not due to were you live, but the reason the Tories can alter the benefits system is because there are people who do.

In regards to the tax breaks -I guess the government would rather we use those with the potential to employ a couple of people in the future than claim JSA, as most large businesses start of small.
    Harsh SE! :-)
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I think at least half the reason I went a long time without claiming was because I didn't want people to know that I'd failed to support myself. It's not just about conscience or whether it's morally right to claim.
      Hows anyone else going to know unless you tell them?

Would you feel the same talking to permie friends and telling them BTW I dont pay any NI ever?

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post

Would you feel the same talking to permie friends and telling them BTW I dont pay any NI ever?
        I'm guessing no one, but he knows and it matters to him.

Me I save during the good times, to tide me over should there be any bad times ahead but then I'm just practical like that. Each to their own what they do, there is no high ground here it's a personal matter for those involved.
        In Scooter we trust

Comment

People at the Job Centre will know. When I did claim (for 3 weeks) I could have got Housing Benefit too (which is where the real money is of course), but I didn't as they needed to contact the landlord and I didn't want them to know I was a doley and they had to worry about me not being able to afford the rent.

It's a little irrational I know, but there's dignity in work and supporting yourself, and there's shame (or at least there should be) in failing.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

True enough. Another reason why I don't feel guilty claiming benefits when needed.
            Very few would begrudge benefits to those who need them.

Comment

I'm sorry, actually I'm not... claiming JSA in between contracts is wrong, because in between contracts you're not unemployed. Remember we chose this way of working. If you want to claim JSA, go get a job, get made redundant\sacked, then whilst looking for another job claim JSA.

Oh, and just because you can (claim JSA) doesn't mean you should.

Comment

Surely this is very simple. You claim what you are legally entitled to, if you can be bothered. "Should" doesn't come into it.

If, as an alternative to using the law as your standard, you act according to some personal alternative standard, what you are really signing up for is always taking the least favourable of two options. You sometimes take less than the law allows because you think that's fair, but when the law gives you less than you think is fair, or takes more in taxes than you think is fair, your personal standard has no say.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                  I'm sorry, actually I'm not... claiming JSA in between contracts is wrong, because in between contracts you're not unemployed. Remember we chose this way of working. If you want to claim JSA, go get a job, get made redundant\sacked, then whilst looking for another job claim JSA.

Oh, and just because you can (claim JSA) doesn't mean you should.
                  Legally you are laid off due to lack of work which is correct.

Comment

Legally you are laid off due to lack of work which is correct.
                    Hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                      Hmmm
                      Yep. Had a long discussion with a jobcentre person about it once.

If you worked in a factory, and the factory had no work, your employer could tell you not to come in. Then for the time you are not working, you can claim JSA because you have been laid off temporarily.

Same applies to self-employed if your wondering. It is quite legal to say I have no work and to claim JSA for this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X