• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "About contractors & benefits"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    Paying inappropriate salary to someone - taking the piss.
    Claiming JSA as a contractor - taking the piss.

How many more times?
    Difference between rules/law and opinion.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    BIG DIFFERENCE

Paying inappropriate salary to someone is not allowed and HMRC will ask you to justify it.

Claiming JSA as a contractor is perfectly legal, above board, allowed. How many times?
    Paying inappropriate salary to someone - taking the piss.
    Claiming JSA as a contractor - taking the piss.

How many more times?

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    Why would you apply that to your company and not to JSA?
    BIG DIFFERENCE

Paying inappropriate salary to someone is not allowed and HMRC will ask you to justify it.

Claiming JSA as a contractor is perfectly legal, above board, allowed. How many times?

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by tractor View Post
    One man's meat is another man's poison.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied
    PC's mum is in the news.

Linky

Leave a comment:

• tractor
    replied
    OK maybe too wide ranging a statement. Its not clever to pay your wife a salary of say £10K when, in effect, she does bugger all or a bit of filing.

My understanding is that any salary needs to be appropriate for the work actually done. i.e. dont take the piss.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    And the basis for that is what exactly?
    OK maybe too wide ranging a statement. Its not clever to pay your wife a salary of say £10K when, in effect, she does bugger all or a bit of filing.

My understanding is that any salary needs to be appropriate for the work actually done. i.e. dont take the piss.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    I think you'll find paying your wife a salary is not clever thing to do.
    And the basis for that is what exactly?

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Psycho - do you not have income protection insurance?
    You mean for things like redundancy? No. To be honest its a grey area and I dont think you'd get this past an insurance company. i.e. own company just made myself redundant etc.
    I thought there was a form of income protection one could take out as a contractor, but it would presumably only cover unexpected lack of income i.e. contract cut short, not benched between contracts.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    You employ your Mrs, don't you? Have you considered laying her off for 6 months each year, and doubling her salary for the other 6 months to maximise the benefits she can claim?
    Nope but she is a shareholder and director. And has her own job anyway.

I think you'll find paying your wife a salary is not clever thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    You employ your Mrs, don't you? Have you considered laying her off for 6 months each year, and doubling her salary for the other 6 months to maximise the benefits she can claim?
    You're fired, now get your @ss down the dole office, then cook my dinner!

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Fair play. Its a personal choice.

It just rips my tulip when people on here have a dig about it as if you're doing the crime of the century when its all perfectly legal and above board.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Like I said 'tis the greyest area on a grey day in greyland.....
    That's not a grey area as a certain number of businesses fail each year.

The economy needs people to take risks and the government gives people a safety net.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Thinking about it - my policy is personal injury etc.... Not for being out of work.

I would do anything if I was in the tulip (dole office), but I would look to stack shelves first in the way.
    Yeh different. I suspect if you tried to claim for redunancy from a company that you own you'd not get very far. Its probably in the t+cs.

Note, just to confirm, if you claim JSA the jobcentre will leave you alone for months. They're not that stupid. i.e. You won't be beating them off trying to give you jobs working in tesco. They realise its better for everyone if they give you a chance to go back doing what you normally do.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by gables View Post
    PC, I don't doubt the legality of it, but it's not about that for me. When I decided to become a contractor I knew what I was signing up to, bench time included, and it is quite different to what a factory worker signs up to. To me JSA is not for contractors between contracts.
    Fair play. Its a personal choice.

It just rips my tulip when people on here have a dig about it as if you're doing the crime of the century when its all perfectly legal and above board.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X