• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Plane crash in Alps

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The distinction between criminal and mentally ill is pretty relative. Ever read biography of Rose West? Doubt anyone could go through a childhood like that and be normal. Even very normal, successful, sociable people have breakdowns and go off the rails. Just need to be practical really, if a person is a threat to others they may need locking up, reasons don't matter.

This will certainly make some more worried about flying, especially following on from the Malaysia Airlines thing where there is similar speculation. Need some precautions pronto.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
      In terms of what can/should be learned from this, I think as a passenger I'd sooner go back to a scenario where it is easier to gain access to the cockpit. Yes there is the terrorist angle and you can argue that this is more likely than a single rogue pilot, but look at it another way: supposing even with a rule that 2 people have to be on the flight deck at all times, how difficult would it really be for a rogue pilot or flight crew member to incapacitate the other person and lock themselves in the cockpit with complete security to do as they want. Balance that against 100+ passengers who want to survive and let them get into the cockpit to fight back and try to regain control of the aircraft.
      You want a mob of 100+ passengers to break down the door, forcibly remove the pilot(s), and take control of the plane? I can't see that ending well.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Willapp View Post
        In terms of what can/should be learned from this.
        I would suggest that proper attention is paid to the mental health of pilots and regular checks and reviews are built into their routines.
        "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Plane crash in Alps

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          I would suggest that proper attention is paid to the mental health of pilots and regular checks and reviews are built into their routines.
          People are very very good at hiding mental health problems.

No one new I was struggling until I tried to kill myself
          Last edited by SimonMac; 27 March 2015, 18:35.
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
            People are very very good at hiding mental health problems.

No one knew I was struggling until I tried to kill myself
            Same with my brother. First we knew he was having problems again was when his car was found at beachy head...
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              What about, say, coach drivers? Nothing to stop a coach driver going off a cliff with a bus full of pensioners on a day trip.

Comment

ISTR there was some question about the mental state of the driver of the Moorgate Tube train - eye witnesses said he was sat bolt upright transfixed as he drove into basically a brick wall....

Comment

We entrust strangers with our lives every day.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    We entrust strangers with our lives every day.
                    Most of the denizens here don't have lifes
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

If Mental Illness was seen as the same as a cold or broken bone then people would seek help earlier and talk about it more freely leading to a decrease in these kinds of acts.

Comment

Working...
                      X