• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

clarkson suspended by BBC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    JC didn't come across as the violent type to me. A loud-mouthed arse at times, sure... but the type who would consider throwing a punch as the mark of a thug.
    Piers Morgan?
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

It must be frustrating for May and Hammond that their futures are directly under the control of JC not being a berk. Obviously both have been quite prolific on the BBC recently (unlike JC who hasn't done much at all IIRC) but still, having to end TG when you've done nothing wrong would be galling.

I do wonder if they could continue it without him - possibly, but another network taking the whole show would make more sense.

Or, JC will make a public apology, give £1m to a charity for babies, and they'll carry on.
      I expect that's a familiar situation for the co-stars/sidekick personalities in many shows and bits of TV, the main star acting like a plank can screw them over, just a risk of the job.

My initial reaction is this was a stunt to promote something, but it's looking more serious now.

If the BBC do can Top Gear I won't be shocked to see the 3 of them appearing in a similar production via another broadcaster. Plenty of acts (and Top Gear is an entertainment show in truth) have swapped channels in the past, but unlike Morecambe and Wise the "brand" isn't officially the people, that may make it a bit complicated. The BBC may well lose the cash cow though.

As someone pointed out in the thread the BBC putting out a statement of a "final warning" was probably unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        He is the show, no two ways about it with Jeremy there is no show.

BBC painted themselves into a corner with the "final" warning last time so they had no choice but to do it, even if it means losing one of their most profitable shows.
        Not really, because the "final warning" related to objectionable speech, so has no relevance in this case, where he's been suspended for allegedly being a violent thug.

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
          I thought they were planning to change the TV license anyway, to make it a household charge that anyone pays whether they have a TV or not
          That's just a vague idea that was floated by some committee that will cease to exist, along with its vague ideas, after May 5th.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            Not really, because the "final warning" related to objectionable speech, so has no relevance in this case, where he's been suspended for allegedly being a violent thug.
            No I mean the next action, no matter what it was big or small would have to be taken seriously.
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
              No I mean the next action, no matter what it was big or small would have to be taken seriously.
              If the final warning was relevant he would have been sacked, not suspended. It isn't relevant because it was solely relating to things he said, not things he did.

I would hope that any employer would take a violent assault in the workplace (attempted or actual) seriously

Comment

A thug is someone who wears a knuckle duster and makes sure he breaks your nose, not someone who loses his temper and swings a punch.

Still a good opportunity for pink tie wearing lefties to get on their soap boxes and get Top Gear replaced by Blue Peter.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  A thug is someone who wears a knuckle duster and makes sure he breaks your nose, not someone who loses his temper and swings a punch.
                  Maybe on the street - but in an office environment any violence is thuggish and unacceptable.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Maybe on the street - but in an office environment any violence is thuggish and unacceptable.
                    It's not an office it's a Top Gear race track
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

If the final warning was relevant he would have been sacked, not suspended. It isn't relevant because it was solely relating to things he said, not things he did.

I would hope that any employer would take a violent assault in the workplace (attempted or actual) seriously
                      Its very hard to sack people on the spot (any HR lawyer will tell you its a bad idea). You suspend on full pay and follow due process then sack them

Its cheaper to pay the weeks salary than to deal with the tribunal...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X