• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions about expenses [merged]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
    The original purchasers receipt is meaningless.

Just get the person selling it to you to give you a recipt in their name - doesn't matter that they are not a business - for the amount you are paying them.

If they won't for some reason, then write your own out in a petty cash slip. H and if they won't give you a recipt be cautious, is it hooky?

And as the vendor is not a business, no vat to claim back.
    thanks, but I can't claim back VAT any way as I am flat rate, and the purchase is under £2k. Now I need this laptop for business but not for personal, I can use my iphone. Can I still buy this as a business expense and use it for personal stuff also like surfing the web, watching videos?

Comment

Yes, you can use your laptop for non business stuff so long as the sole purpose of buying it is for business. Practically speaking that means if you need it to do your job in some way then it's allowable regardless if the proportion of personal use to business use.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
        Yes, you can use your laptop for non business stuff so long as the sole purpose of buying it is for business. Practically speaking that means if you need it to do your job in some way then it's allowable regardless if the proportion of personal use to business use.
        Nice, so its tax free right, I don't pay corporation tax on the funds used to buy this?

Comment

Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
          Nice, so its tax free right, I don't pay corporation tax on the funds used to buy this?
          Yes, it reduces your CT bill. Are you capitalising it?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Yes, it reduces your CT bill. Are you capitalising it?
            I don't know, should I? what does it do buy doing that? Can I still give it away in like 4 years to family member?

Comment

Gumtree!?!?

YANCOTBAC
              I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Can I still buy this as a business expense and use it for personal stuff also like surfing the web, watching videos?
                You're not a Judge, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
                  Gumtree!?!?

YANCOTBAC
                  say WAT??

Comment

Can I buy a macbook on gumtree with cash as business expense, as long as I take a picture of the original receipt as a Proof of purchase that the buyer had? It will cost me less than this receipt though.
                    LOL! So you want to buy a macbook at below cost and put the original buyer's purchase price through your books using their receipt.

God loves a tryer!
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                      LOL! So you want to buy a macbook at below cost and put the original buyer's purchase price through your books using their receipt.

Hector loves a tryer!
                      FTFY.

Comment

Working...
                      X