• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

Questions about expenses [merged]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    LOL! So you want to buy a macbook at below cost and put the original buyer's purchase price through your books using their receipt.

    God loves a tryer!
    Nope, I wanted proof that I purchased a non stolen good

    Comment


      #22
      This is a Professional forum guys please remember that.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
        Nope, I wanted proof that I purchased a non stolen good
        Then don't buy from gumtree.

        If I was joe bloggs off loading a stolen laptop I would sign any name and give you any address.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

        Comment


          #24
          Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
          I don't know, should I? what does it do buy doing that?
          Strictly speaking, yes. However, many accountants will operate a rule-of-thumb on this and suggest you expense any IT equipment worth less than, say, £500. There's no material difference, but it does increase the complexity of your accounts somewhat if you're capitalising and depreciating an asset (especially if you have a bunch of small assets). Ask your accountant.

          Comment


            #25
            Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
            Nope, I wanted proof that I purchased a non stolen good
            If someone is devious enough to sell you stolen goods do you think lying/faking the proof is going to be a problem for them?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Strictly speaking, yes. However, many accountants will operate a rule-of-thumb on this and suggest you expense any IT equipment worth less than, say, £500. There's no material difference, but it does increase the complexity of your accounts somewhat if you're capitalising and depreciating an asset (especially if you have a bunch of small assets). Ask your accountant.
              I thought this was the case but my SJD accountant moved a laptop to an asset even though someone else from SJD posted that £500 was acceptable on here. It made no different to me so let him do what he thought fit.

              Anyway, it broke so I sold it to some sucker on Gumtree with a certificate to say it was all working fine...
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Strictly speaking, yes. However, many accountants will operate a rule-of-thumb on this and suggest you expense any IT equipment worth less than, say, £500. There's no material difference, but it does increase the complexity of your accounts somewhat if you're capitalising and depreciating an asset (especially if you have a bunch of small assets). Ask your accountant.
                If I cap it, then its not CO tax free then?

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  If someone is devious enough to sell you stolen goods do you think lying/faking the proof is going to be a problem for them?
                  True but at least I'm covered as I did due dilagence to see that it wasn't stolen

                  Comment


                    #29
                    Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
                    True but at least I'm covered as I did due dilagence to see that it wasn't stolen
                    Really?? You think you have? and it will make a difference???

                    When you do buy one make sure the spell checker works hey...
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

                    Comment


                      #30
                      Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      You think?.......
                      yeah I hink

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X