• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Questions about expenses [merged]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I lend a company laptop to a charity and not charge them VAT?

From reading this it seem I have to?

https://www.gov.uk/vat-private-use-a...services#gstpu

Comment

Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post

From reading this it seem I have to?

https://www.gov.uk/vat-private-use-a...services#gstpu
      Of course you have to.!!!!!!

Work out the depreciation and VAT to at least 9 decimal places too just in case.

Alternatively don't bother and stop trolling the CUK professional forums with absurd questions that the application of a microscopic quantity of common sense answer.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        Of course you have to.!!!!!!

Work out the depreciation and VAT to at least 9 decimal places too just in case.

Alternatively don't bother and stop trolling the CUK professional forums with absurd questions that the application of a microscopic quantity of common sense answer.
        But if I don't charge them for the service then VAT payable is 20% x £0.00 correct = £0?

Comment

Not sure why you refer to this as trolling, I don't understand tax perfectly and came here for help. Maybe I should use another forum for this questions?

Comment

The reason I ask is that if I use another laptop from a client then this one would be sitting around and I could lend it to the charity to help them at 0 cost I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by ItRYmyBEst View Post
              But if I don't charge them for the service then VAT payable is 20% x £0.00 correct = £0?
              If you can work that out for yourself, why ask us? The clue is in the word "lend".

3/10 - must try harder
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

This lend it to them.

Put it on the counter and walk away.

That's it.
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  If you can work that out for yourself, why ask us? The clue is in the word "lend".

3/10 - must try harder
                  Because you have more experience from me, I am only contracting since last year.

I ask because from the VAT page it seems like I only need to charge VAT if I've lent and received Considerations. In my case there is no consideration, I help them and also donate to them.

https://www.gov.uk/vat-private-use-a...considerations

Comment

hmm after further study looks like I'll need to charge the vat of what it would be to hire a laptop, I should probably just give them the money to buy there own in this case, seems like too much trouble.

If you don’t receive any consideration
                    If you give something away and receive nothing in return for it then VAT is due on the value of what you’ve supplied. This is the money that would be payable to purchase the same goods - including age and condition - at the time of your supply.

Comment

Just lend it to them and walk away. If you have a VAT inspection you should try and lie about it until they bring out the lie detector. If you start to sweat or your heart beat speeds up then they will have you nailed. You could do time for such a heinous, wicked deed as lending a laptop to a charity and not asking them to pay VAT on it. You are not the messiah, you are a very naughty boy

Comment

Working...
                      X