• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Random dull video about nothing very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Random dull video about nothing very much

Just watched this video - Karen aka GirlWritesWhat has a good youtube channel - having been getting a little irritated by all of the 'male privilege' and other slogans I've been hearing from ThoughtWorks & martin Fowler and the gang recently.

I'd love to see more women in tech, but I don't think that embracing the whole idea of a self-serving patriarchy, and male privilege etc is anything but destructive (apart from also being bulltulip).

It's an hour long - would you like to give us a precis?

Comment

Attitudes embrace both sexes. It has always been the case that there are few women in some technical areas. When I was at Uni there was one woman doing chemistry and none in physics and engineering but plenty doing pharmacy and social studies. Not much changed since as far as I can see. Male exclusion? I don't see how. There were no rules stopping women being engineers, they just weren't interested.

Couldn't be to do with nature I suppose? Men and women are different, not just physically but mentally. As long as everyone plays a useful role, does it really matter that every single sphere has an equal representation?

Why does the UK still have so few female engineers? | Opinion | The Engineer
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Male exclusion? I don't see how. There were no rules stopping women being engineers, they just weren't interested.
        The guys at ThoughtWorks recently have been linking to blogs related to this. They contained things like 'micro-aggressions' which included using the word 'guys' when the group was made up of male & female, etc.
        In wider feminist circles, 'micro-aggressions' include sitting with your legs apart more than 6 inches.

Comment

Actually, it's about ethics in video game journalism

Comment

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Actually, it's about ethics in video game journalism
              What is? Gamer gate? (not to do with this vid - but Martin Fowler etc have got in on that too).

Having watched the video series, Sarkeesian 'got what she deserved' - i.e. while I can't justify the psychos making threats, I don't feel sorry for her at all. Utter scumbag.

Comment

As are you...
                "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  As are you...
                  We have a smiley for that.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Couldn't be to do with nature I suppose? Men and women are different, not just physically but mentally. As long as everyone plays a useful role, does it really matter that every single sphere has an equal representation?

Why does the UK still have so few female engineers? | Opinion | The Engineer
                    There are loads of discussions about this.

There are lots of women in tech from India and other BRIC countries compared to Western ones. Similar with engineering. (Though the female engineers I've spoken to have been from developing countries that aren't BRIC ones.) Ask them why they decided to go into such a career and then you will discover the difference is mostly cultural...
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X