• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Random dull video about nothing very much"

Collapse

• TykeMerc
    replied
    It is a bit of a shame that the non trivial engineering and scientific achievement of landing a probe on a comet has been totally obscured by what the bloke who gave an interview was wearing.

As has been pointed out when acting as the spokesperson for a major project on international media some consideration to dressing appropriately is wise. Being individual and outspoken is fine, so long as it's tempered with common sense at strategic points.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Pretty much agree with that, not sure about the asking out bit if I hadn't asked a colleague out I would be playing far cry in a bedsit.

Also the commenting on ladies looking nice, its a bit sad you can't do that without someone suspecting its sexual.

I do wonder why people feel that threatening a person with extreme violence on the internet is acceptable.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    And a rather more world-weary response

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/20/fa...hirt.html?_r=0

Leave a comment:

• TykeMerc
    replied
    Good read

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Women In Astronomy: It's Not About That Damn Shirt

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Thus giving you the last word, thereby implicitly accepting your stance.
    Logic and clear thinking were never his strong point.

Nice. How about you not replying for a change?
    I've fixed that for him.

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Only if he was sorry. Not if he was pressured into doing so.

The truth is that some people did feel unhappy by what he chose to wear. You may not agree with it, but it happened. No doubt some were trolling and wanted to 'shame' him, but most of the comments weren't like that. Very few were personal. A lot of people thanked him once he changed his shirt. If he's sorry he's upset people, then it's nice of him to say so. I watched the apology and wanted to give him a hug.

I still don't think he should ever have been in that situation - someone, somewhere should have got him to change his shirt before appearing on television.

I don't know whether he wore the shirt oblivious that it would cause controversy, wore it knowing but not caring, or wore it to provoke comment. I suspect the first, and that's a shame, as it must have soured what should have been a triumphant moment for him.
    So do you think that everyone should go through life thinking about everything they do, say, wear, eat etc etc before they do it just in case it might offend someone? I can't help thinking that people who were offended by the shirt really should have a good look at the world and wonder if there isn't something far more deserving to cause a fuss about

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Thus giving you the last word, thereby implicitly accepting your stance.

Nice. How about you not replying for a change?

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Yeah, and many of us find you offensive. And worse - boring.

Drop it, or take some enforced leave.
    And I find you offensive. So what? It can always be dropped by just not replying. You seem to want to be offended. You keep begging for more.
    If you enforce my leave, and go back to burning books, then you'll have to find some other source of offence in order to keep you victim quota topped up.

How about you be a man and just don't respond to things you're supposedly not interested in?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Yeah, and many of us find you offensive. And worse - boring.

Drop it, or take some enforced leave.

Leave a comment:

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I find your assumption that all women harbour a subconscious desire to be objectified offensive
    Is that made-up fact number 4? I find you insistence on inventing facts in order to misrepresent me ('lies' if you're struggling to process logic) offensive. Or at least I would do if it made sense to take to heart the sentiments of a liar.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Random dull video about nothing very much

So does NAT...

Get a room!

Leave a comment:

• MaryPoppins
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    This.
    I feel violated.