• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Random dull video about nothing very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    No. But I would tell him to go and get changed or I'm not going to the meeting with him. Equally if it was a male client, in fact. Same as if he turned up in flip flops to meet Prince Charles, as Taylor did!

My main point is that the backlash was unwarranted and mean.

The women in my house are not offended by his shirt, think the people who've vocally taken offense are a bit full off themselves, wouldn't be put off working at ESA, and wouldn't feel intimidated.
    There is a lot of presumptions in your post.

Some of the women who have careers in STEM who tweeted and wrote blog posts about the shirt could have been put off working in the ESA and similar. We will never know either way.

Anyway it's the media who ran with the story.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Some of the women who have careers in STEM who tweeted and wrote blog posts about the shirt could have been put off working in the ESA and similar. We will never know either way.

Anyway it's the media who ran with the story.
      I think NAT was talking about the women in his house.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        (and you women wearing far less on an average Saturday night out).
        You're single right? I'm guessing for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          But you're in a very tiny (but vocal) minority. So how come it's inappropriate just because you say so?
          Just to be clear, I used the word vocal in an attempt (obviously failed) to differentiate between the reasoned arguments of SueEllen and Mudskipper (I just happen to disagree with their arguments) and those of feminist propagandists (who first see a cartoon cleavage, then an opportunity, and then come up with some plausible sounding arguments that aren't founded on any real facts concerning women in science, and seeking to be the voice of all women in science. The women I know in science are smart enough to think "Storm, teacup", let's get on with science.).

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Ironic, given the presumptions in your post. They might equally have been put off by his flip-flops. There's too much assumption that women are such weak frail creatures that they'd give more than a second's thought to this shirt.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Am I the only one finding a rather savage irony in the man haters, on finding out that he was very upset by this backlash, claimed 'he deserved it because of what he was wearing'?
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

There's too much assumption that women are such weak frail creatures that they'd give more than a second's thought to this shirt.
              The flip flops don't objectify women.

Comments like the above do make me feel quite cross. Moving away from this man in particular (I think he's had more than enough grief), if a woman feels uncomfortable being surrounded by pictures of scantily clad ladies in her work environment, she should be able to voice that opinion without being labelled a feminist, a delicate little flower or a spoilsport. Although it would be nice if she wasn't put in that situation in the first place.

Comment

I don't believe his shirt objectifies women either. I think it is art of a 1980-1990s cartoon/graffiti style. Remember it was a female designer who made it for him.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                ... if a woman feels uncomfortable being surrounded by pictures of scantily clad ladies in her work environment, she should be able to voice that opinion without being labelled a feminist, a delicate little flower or a spoilsport.
                Of course she should. Is there any evidence whatsoever that any of Matt Taylor's female colleagues felt discomfited by his shirt? Or are they all such delicate flowers that they don't speak up - which is not my assumption, but does appear to be yours. I don't think you given women enough credit. I think women are quite capable of speaking up when they want to, and won't be labelled in any way for doing so by decent men.

Comment

I'm astounded that the HR person at the site still has a job.

If I turned up at site dressed in a similar shirt I would find myself in the HR office explaining myself and warned not to turn up like that again. I might even be issued with a company shirt or sent home without pay and told to change.

It's possibly an overreaction on the part of the ladies to focus so much on his shirt and so little on his achievements?

I'm sure if the blokes had seen a blonde in a mini skirt with her rack hanging out they would have been similarly dismissive as she wouldn't have been professionally dressed.Of course that would have been considered as disgusting and impinging on her right to express herself.

The bloke is quite obviously slightly Autistic or similar and needs guidance on such things but he is also a rocket scientist who has achieved more than most of his detractors ever will.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    I'm astounded that the HR person at the site still has a job...
                    It's Europe. They're not so up themselves as the British and Americans. The shirt furore isn't on the radar locally. Except to point out how much the Brits and Yanks are so prurient and prudish.

Comment

It's Europe. They're not so up themselves as the British and Americans. The shirt furore isn't on the radar locally. Except to point out how much the Brits and Yanks are so prurient and prudish.
                      Even so it wasn't appropriate for a TV interview about the project. someone should of said "here is your Team Philae T-Shirt put it on for any interviews".

As I said he probably needs guidance over such things.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X