• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hillsborough

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
    why ??

The cops opened the gates because of the crush being caused outside, in their misguided thought that it would stop the crush and people getting seriously hurt/dying
    Because anyone with half a brain cell knows that when you have a crowd trying to get into a small space you don't let all those people into a small space. You plan ahead and manage it so those with tickets show them a few hundred yards if need be from the door and turn the rest away.

They tend to do this now at concerts and other busy sporting events. Yes they do use the excuse of security but the IRA were still active then on the mainland.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Crowds of people always push whether it's getting into clubs, pubs, concerts or sports events. So I wouldn't call the football fans idiots. As far as the fans were concerned there was room in the stadium for them to stand as no-one had told them otherwise.
      Wasn't the problem the distribution of fans inside the Leppings Lane end rather than the actual numbers of them?

By the way, the Notts Forest end of the ground (admittedly double the capacity of Leppings Lane) had six times the number of turnstiles.

SIX times. Imagine that.

Comment

You plan ahead and manage it so those with tickets show them a few hundred yards if need be from the door and turn the rest away.
        Which was done the previous year.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

yep so just as I said cops made a poor decision in opening the gate but also some blame surely lies with those fans that were pushing at the back. No pushing = No crush = No deaths

I think it's a terribly tragedy and obviously some of the police have behaved despicably post the event in trying to cover up their failings but I don't see them solely to blame, those Liverpool fans crushing at the back should shoulder their portion of the responsibility, something they seem reluctant to do.

I do not follow football so have no allegiance to any team, my opinions are purely my take on the events as an outsider

Comment

my opinions are purely my take on the events from a position of almost total ignorance
            Sorted that for you.

Comment

yep so just as I said cops made a poor decision in opening the gate but also some blame surely lies with those fans that were pushing at the back. No pushing = No crush = No deaths
              Are you sure you don't write for The Sun?

Comment

You sure you're not a scouser? ☺

Comment

You sure you're not a scouser? ☺
                  Nope not a Scouser.

However know that The Sun isn't a favoured newspaper on Merseyside due to them like you blaming the fans for the police and football stadium managements failures.

You obviously have never been in a crowded situation. Before councils started to bother clamping down on them lots of clubs and pubs would let in too many people at busy times causing people to faint especially due to the fact the heating was always on full blast. (The clamp downs started happening in the 90s.) Like this so it's not surprising things like this happen.

Comment

Nope not a Scouser.

However know that The Sun isn't a favoured newspaper on Merseyside due to them like you blaming the fans for the police and football stadium managements failures.

You obviously have never been in a crowded situation. Before councils started to bother clamping down on them lots of clubs and pubs would let in too many people at busy times causing people to faint especially due to the fact the heating was always on full blast. (The clamp downs started happening in the 90s.) Like this so it's not surprising things like this happen.
                    I remember a very crowded night at AndyW's mums house.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      I remember a very crowded night at AndyW's mums house.
                      Did a load of them steam in without tickets?

Comment

Working...
                      X