• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to Permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Gotta say wow to that. I don't doubt what you say but that's a pretty poor bit of background screening isn't it? I mean, that last line can't even be right can it? Self employed at a LTD?
    I'd already been through the self employed thing with them, but I just could not be bothered to correct them again. I'd been offered the job before the screening had kicked off, so it was really a box ticking exercise.

For completeness this was the full exchange I had with the screening company over a period of 5 weeks! This was after completing a load of stuff on their online portal.

Them...

Thank you for submitting your consent forms to xxx. We are currently processing your background check on behalf of yyy and we require some missing information in order to complete your check.

Please provide us with the following:

Details of your accountant or solicitor for the self-employment at VioletDwarf Limited.
    § Confirmation if you had an accountant or solicitor whilst self-employed: Yes or No
    § Accountant Company:
    § Contact details of the accountant or solicitor:

In order to expedite your background screening, please send the required information by email to xxx as soon as possible to ensure there are no unnecessary delays in completing your background check.
    Me...
    > Confirmation if you had an accountant or solicitor whilst self-employed: No

I've never been self employed, VioletDwarf is limited company through which I have been employed as an employee ( paid through a payroll / PAYE etc).

I'm also the director at VioletDwarf Limited . I do all the company accounts ( PAYE, VAT, CT600 corporation tax, Balance sheets, PnL for HMRC / Companies house).
    Them...
    Hello KrytronSheep,

Thank you for your email.

We have updated your file with the provided information with regards to your self employment at VioletDwarf Limited.

However please could you confirm if VioletDwarf Limited was your own limited company.
    Me...
    Yes VioletDwarf limited is 100% owned by myself.

This is the incorporation document from companies house.
    beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...
    Them...
    Hello KrytronSheep,

We are still processing your background check on behalf of yyy and we require some documentation in order to complete your check.

We have been unable to obtain the required information for your period of self-employment as you did not use the service of an accountant or solicitors and require suitable documents to account for this period in your career history. In order for any documentation you provide to be acceptable, the document must show:
    • Initial(s) and last name, OR
    • Forename and last name, OR
    • Forename, middle name and last name, OR
    • Forename, middle initial and last name.

Please provide either one of the following documents that clearly shows both the start and end date; OR one document displaying your start date and one displaying the end date. The document(s) provided must clearly show start and end dates of your self- employment at VioletDwarf Limited:

·Invoices to Clients
    ·HMRC Documentation
    ·Company registration letter

In order to expedite your background screening, please provide the required information or document(s) using the contact information below
    Me, getting pissed off...
    Hi,

I am still in full time employment with VioletDwarf Limited, and will remain so until I have to start work at yyy, if I pass the background check. Therefore there is no end date on any documentation.

This is the information from Companies house showing I was a director from 200x

beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/...

Please note, VioletDwarf Limited is a Limited company. I have been a full time employee of VioletDwarf Limited. I have never been self-employed.

HMRC clearly distinguish between the two:

https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself

"Many of these also apply if you own a limited company but you’re not classed as self-employed by HMRC. Instead you’re both an owner and employee of your company."

Documents such as those requested below would never show a 'start date' or an 'end date' for any employee of a business.
    • Invoices to Clients ( an invoice shows things like company address, bank details, payment terms, VAT registration number etc)
    • Company registration letter ( this is just a document with the name and number of the company and where it was registered).

If required, I'm happy to Invoice xxx to give further training on accounting practices and records for Limited Companies.

Best regards,

KrytronSheep
    Them...
    Thank you for your response.

We have noted the below information however in order to proceed with the verification we would still require suitable documents to account for your time at VioletDwarf Limited as mentioned in the below trail email.
    Me ...
    I've attached a client invoice as request from VioletDwarf to one of our clients.

Regarding HMRC documentation, I already included a HMRC P60 form in the original online application clearly showing VioletDwarf as an employer, with myself as an employee. The P60 includes a unique employee PAYE reference (ERN) number that can be checked with HMRC.
    They then sent me the "Career Gap – Declaration of Fact" document that I signed and never heard from them again. Then shortly after started the permie job.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
      They then sent me the "Career Gap – Declaration of Fact" document that I signed and never heard from them again. Then shortly after started the permie job.
      Not surprised you were getting pissed of with that chain..

Just a point or pedantry though..

I've never been self employed, VioletDwarf is limited company through which I have been employed as an employee ( paid through a payroll / PAYE etc).
      If you are a normal contactor that wouldn't be true either would it?. We are directors which is a position. We aren't employed unless we have a full signed contract of employement. If you were employed and you were doing the low wage and divs you would have been paying yourself less than the NMW which is illegal.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 10 July 2021, 22:22.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you were employed and you were doing the low wage and divs you would have been paying yourself less than the NMW which is illegal.
        Didn't know that. At the time of applying for the permie role I'd done a very long gig which was inside IR35 with everything going through PAYE. So things like the P60 definitely looked like I was a full time employee / well exceeding the NMW.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
          Didn't know that. At the time of applying for the permie role I'd done a very long gig which was inside IR35 with everything going through PAYE. So things like the P60 definitely looked like I was a full time employee / well exceeding the NMW.
          That's fair enough then. It's a common mistake we see on here where a contractor claims they are employed but they aren't.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            What kind of eejit resurrects a 16 year old thread?

oh, of course, - that kind of eejit.
            I'm making a note and will try to resurrect this thread again in 16 years time lol

Comment

Even more inneresting is WTF the post came from in the first place since The End of General goes as far as 2007 and stops.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
              X