• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eek View Post
    Mine go to the next nearest local comp as the local one used to have a dire rep and while its much improved wasn't really the most suitable for them.

The fact that its the best of its type in the country (not just ofsted outstanding but explicitly mentioned as beyond outstanding in ofsted's latest report) didn't have anything to do with the decision (much). But then again if you've spent 7 years as a governor of an associated primary school you have to have a minor fringe benefit.
    Mine are at a sink comprehensive where they can learn to steal and deal and thus prepare themselves for a well paid career in recruitment
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post

In fact I'd argue that good teachers (getting good results for their kids) in tough comprehensives are probably more accomplished teachers prison wardens than those in cushy independent school roles. I know for a fact that some of teachers at my parents school for example would be eaten alive if they were to be put in my wife's Rotherham comprehensive!!
      FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
        It would be good to get some idea of fees with respect to income. A ratio of sorts. I see all sorts of numbers being flung around.
        Current take home is around £5,500/m. Outgoings are around £2,500.

Prep for one will be £850/m but a few years on and there would be 4 years of double private senior school fees making a total of £2,500 in fees a month for the two gorillas.

My partner will most likely return to work and earn enough to pay the fees. The thing which most worries me is that once setting off down the private road, we would be massively committed to it. Couldn't bear the thought of needing to pull them out.

Thanks for all the amazing posts. You guys are ace.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          Current take home is around £5,500/m. Outgoings are around £2,500.

Prep for one will be £850/m but a few years on and there would be 4 years of double private senior school fees making a total of £2,500 in fees a month for the two gorillas.

My partner will most likely return to work and earn enough to pay the fees. The thing which most worries me is that once setting off down the private road, we would be massively committed to it. Couldn't bear the thought of needing to pull them out.

Thanks for all the amazing posts. You guys are ace.
          Don't forget to budget for all those little "extras" they soon add up - & with 2 in senior you should be pushing for a bursary for something or other
          It never (phew) happened to us but I know of a contractor whose 2 kids were at the same school and who ran into difficulties in the downturn (iirc) of 2003 - the school was sympathetic and allowed them to carry the fees forward until better times returned to the contracting market

After a while you will begin to ponder why you couldn't have the allowance that the local council pays towards each child to put towards the school of your choice even though you don't use it for the local comp- and it would be a good ponder... with no rhyme or reason why you couldn't get it - 'cept you cant
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
            It's interesting that many say things like "make sure your kid is reading" before starting school or "get extra Tuition in ...". This is a lot of pressure on kids from as young as 4 years old! It's a race and in many cases more about the Parent than the Kid.
            Contrast with Germany where kids start school at 6 and the school day is much shorter, usually over by midday. Yet they have one of the most successful school systems in Europe.
            Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Yeah don't remind, on Wednesday school is over by 11am! But it's not all one way. I've heard equal criticisms about the German system also. Tier system here separates children from a young age.
            The day finishes early but a German friend told me the day also starts early, like 7 am?

Also, they might not start school until 6, but I thought they didn't leave school until 19 - and it's not that they don't attend school until 6 anyway, only that it's not compulsory. I bet most parents either send kids to kindergarten or teach them some basics at home.
            Last edited by d000hg; 3 September 2014, 07:24.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              The day finishes early but a German friend told me the day also starts early, like 7 am?

If kids don't start school until 6, I doubt they spend 6 years in a cot drooling though. Probably parents already start teaching them things as a matter of course, since children 3-5 have brains like sponges.
              Yes 8am start. But her German is coming on great guns. A friend's elder daughter a few years older attending the same school can already tell the difference between a native German speaker and someone whose been speaking the German as a 2nd language, just with pronunciation. Sounds all the same to me.

I'm keen for my daughter to pick up the language whilst we're here. Recently a story of yummy mummies in London paying silly money so their spawn can be taught a 2nd language, and we're getting it for free.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Anybody have a child who started school this week? If so was it private/public and happy with your choice? In my case we went for the private option and have to say was initially very reluctant but the difference in facilities, learning environment and quality of people is like day and night. The prep school will prepare them well for all the entrance exams so maybe altrincham grammar will be a decent balance in the future.

Comment

It's an utter waste of money, a fellow contractor wasted most of his extra income on this and after hundreds of thousands the kid decided it wanted to join the army

Save some money aside and get some good tutors booked for years leading up to exams at a good state school. Will cost you a 100th of the amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
                    It's an utter waste of money, a fellow contractor wasted most of his extra income on this and after hundreds of thousands the kid decided it wanted to join the army

Save some money aside and get some good tutors booked for years leading up to exams at a good state school. Will cost you a 100th of the amount.
                    +1. The thing with playing the state system by moving to the catchment area of a good school is that you won't lose money. As you get that money back later...
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post

Such a blanket statement really is poor form on your part.... If you are able to get a high standard state school then fine, otherwise those wanting to give their children the best in life are left with little choice.

Comment

Working...
                      X