• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    £10k a month on nursery fees

Packing up contracting, opening a daycare centre this afternoon.
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    You're spending 10K a month on nursery fees?
    Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    This!
    You all know what I meant
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

It's interesting that many say things like "make sure your kid is reading" before starting school or "get extra Tuition in ...". This is a lot of pressure on kids from as young as 4 years old! It's a race and in many cases more about the Parent than the Kid.
      Contrast with Germany where kids start school at 6 and the school day is much shorter, usually over by midday. Yet they have one of the most successful school systems in Europe.

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
        You all know what I meant
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

This is quite interesting topic, our oldest is just starting primary school next week.

We've opted for the local catholic state school up the road ("Good" latest Ofsted rating) as even though there is an excellent private school just up the road I can't stretch to the 11k\year fees.

Now I'm on a reasonable income ~100k (probably take out via TFA & divis ~£60k) but with a wife that only works part time as a teacher (2 days/week) due to another younger child and when you consider mortgage, household bills, childcare, insurances, food etc that 11k would have to come out of 40% bracket so 11k is really going to cost me ~£15k/year( I suppose even more if you think I've already paid 20% CT on it already as well)

So I don't think without my wife being back in full time employment and earning her full wage again ~£35k this would be something that's feasible

So are those that are going down the private schooling route taking the 40% hit?

Comment

Originally posted by Fandango View Post
            This is quite interesting topic, our oldest is just starting primary school next week.

We've opted for the local catholic state school up the road ("Good" latest Ofsted rating) as even though there is an excellent private school just up the road I can't stretch to the 11k\year fees.

Now I'm on a reasonable income ~100k (probably take out via TFA & divis ~£60k) but with a wife that only works part time as a teacher (2 days/week) due to another younger child and when you consider mortgage, household bills, childcare, insurances, food etc that 11k would have to come out of 40% bracket so 11k is really going to cost me ~£15k/year( I suppose even more if you think I've already paid 20% CT on it already as well)

So I don't think without my wife being back in full time employment and earning her full wage again ~£35k this would be something that's feasible

So are those that are going down the private schooling route taking the 40% hit?
            Mine go to the local comp which is perfectly good enough for them.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Will be 3 yrs before we have to make the choice - but a long expensive road if this choice is made. Local juniors is in 'special measures', so 3 years for them to turn around if not prep school for our little gorillas.
              We sent both of our girls to private school, and funded it through savings. As has been said previously, you don't want to find yourself in the position of having to pull your kids out of school because you can't afford it. It's bad for them, and it's bad for your emotional well-being.

Keep the local school as a Plan B, but start saving now.

The other option is to move to an area with a good school that you know that you'll get into. The house will cost more money because it's close to a good school, but you'll be able to recoup that money when you come to sell. The same cannot be said of school fees.

Bugger going to a Pape, or Pastafarian boot-camp... Would you want to send them to a Madrassa? No. The clue is in the name. So why surround them with people who believe in white sky-fairies, or omnipotent cannelloni instead?
              Last edited by JustinTime; 2 September 2014, 11:11.
              Error 404: Signature not found.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
                Contrast with Germany where kids start school at 6 and the school day is much shorter, usually over by midday. Yet they have one of the most successful school systems in Europe.
                Yeah don't remind, on Wednesday school is over by 11am! But it's not all one way. I've heard equal criticisms about the German system also. Tier system here separates children from a young age.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah tbh I've got no problems with the local school at all.

I went my local state primary\secondary\college and did very well (all A*s & A's, yay me!!) but both my parents were teachers at an independent school so I've see the other side and it's hard not to see how nice the independent school environment can be and to want that for your children also.

I think the quality of teachers is equal between state and independent schools, imho paying for independent schooling you're not necessarily going to get a "better" quality of teacher. What you don't get is the behaviour problems of scores of council estate ****tards disrupting lessons for other children and therefore dragging everyone down.

In fact I'd argue that good teachers (getting good results for their kids) in tough comprehensives are probably more accomplished teachers than those in cushy independent school roles. I know for a fact that some of teachers at my parents school for example would be eaten alive if they were to be put in my wife's Rotherham comprehensive!!

Also again on the cost front, I would imagine you're probably looking at 50% of the fees again on all the little extras the schooling no doubt offers. Trekking to the Himalayas for Yr3, Trombone lessons for little Timmy etc etc so you might as well chalk down £20k/year per child

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    Mine go to the local comp which is perfectly good enough for them.
                    Mine go to the next nearest local comp as the local one used to have a dire rep and while its much improved wasn't really the most suitable for them.

The fact that its the best of its type in the country (not just ofsted outstanding but explicitly mentioned as beyond outstanding in ofsted's latest report) didn't have anything to do with the decision (much). But then again if you've spent 7 years as a governor of an associated primary school you have to have a minor fringe benefit.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                      Whilst I totally accept the consensus of stereotyping of recruitment consultants and estate agents there is a refreshing "know where you stand" honesty about the games they play. What we get up to however is nothing compared to the sales and business tactics of the large corporates that you guys work for. The difference being that these companies are much more sophisticated at conning us and the stakes are considerably higher
                      Especially public sector institutions and, what amounts to the same nowadays, banks, for which the sales bit is more relevant. Personally, I've no issue with recruiters as I know what their role and contribution is, and have even considered becoming one in the past.
                      Last edited by Zero Liability; 2 September 2014, 11:39.

Comment

Working...
                      X