• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone thinking of sending your kids to private school?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We did this recently. The school in the area we are living had a "Good" rating. The school in the area we want to move to had one school with Outstanding rating and it was a church school which meant parents attending church had priority.

So we had to get a house within .4 miles to have a chance if at all and there was no property in that range for sale for months. Finally decided to move house near a private school instead. Costs 2K per term and we can afford it but more than that, there is the satisfaction knowing you have done your best for the kid.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Mine is in prep, the fees are around £10k a year which is quite manageable for a few years. The alternative was an average local public school.

Didn't want to move the house as it would be roughly the same, taking into account selling fees and stamp duty, but definitely much more hassle.

The plans are to try to get him to a good grammar school at 11, would the move still be a disaster as someone said earlier ?
      Last edited by Lumiere; 1 September 2014, 17:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post
        Mine is in prep, the fees are around £10k a year which is quite manageable for a few years. The alternative was an average local public school.
        The plans are to try to get him to a good grammar school at 11, would the move still be a disaster as someone said earlier ?
        Depends on the school. My lad goes to a so called super-selective grammar in an area where there aren't many grammars, so very stiff competition. Probably more than half the boys have come from private schools. If you're in an area (like Kent) where there are still lots of grammars, you'll probably find fewer kids from the private sector.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          And not too badly paid for thicko profession. However a lack of intellect does catch up occasionally:

Gary Chaplin email: £200k recruitment exec sacked for telling jobseekers to **** off | Mail Online

At least he looks good for his age. Can't say I blame him, quite a few of the people who read the Mail probably qualify in the "too stupid" category, anyway. Pays to check who you're replying to, but I doubt he has had any existential crisis over what he did, considering that soullessness is a prerequisite to be a recruitment agent. I'm sure there's many estate agencies where he would be considered a paragon of professional ethics and etiquette all the same. Whatever people say of recruiters, I find estate agents tend to be far stupider on average.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
            At least he looks good for his age. Can't say I blame him, quite a few of the people who read the Mail probably qualify in the "too stupid" category, anyway. Pays to check who you're replying to, but I doubt he has had any existential crisis over what he did, considering that soullessness is a prerequisite to be a recruitment agent. I'm sure there's many estate agencies where he would be considered a paragon of professional ethics and etiquette all the same. Whatever people say of recruiters, I find estate agents tend to be far stupider on average.
            Whilst I totally accept the consensus of stereotyping of recruitment consultants and estate agents there is a refreshing "know where you stand" honesty about the games they play. What we get up to however is nothing compared to the sales and business tactics of the large corporates that you guys work for. The difference being that these companies are much more sophisticated at conning us and the stakes are considerably higher
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Will be 3 yrs before we have to make the choice - but a long expensive road if this choice is made. Local juniors is in 'special measures', so 3 years for them to turn around if not prep school for our little gorillas.
              Special measures can be a good thing as it attracts lots of funding and support to fix things - and 3 years is a long time. But, do you have to send them to the nearest school, can't you choose these days?

Moving isn't a bad shout, with so much time to plan.

Originally posted by robpow View Post
              That's what we are doing, daughter is starting at the local Montessori in two weeks, mainly due to lack of decent state schools around here. The good one has a catchment area about about 500 metres, such is the demand.

Matt
              Some (maybe lots) of state schools employ such methodologies such as Montessori, forest school, etc, etc. It's much more about the individual school than the methodology they use, just as in software development where good developers will do well using any methodology and bad ones will stuff up no matter how agile they try to be!
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Lumiere View Post

Didn't want to move the house as it would be roughly the same, taking into account selling fees and stamp duty, but definitely much more hassle.

I suppose 10k isn't so bad if you've already been spending close to that on nursery fees every month.
                Bazza gets caught
                Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                  I suppose 10k isn't so bad if you've already been spending close to that on nursery fees every month.
                  £10k a month on nursery fees

Packing up contracting, opening a daycare centre this afternoon.
                  "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
                    You're spending 10K a month on nursery fees?
                    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      £10k a month on nursery fees

Packing up contracting, opening a daycare centre this afternoon.
                      This!
                      Best Forum Advisor 2014
                      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                      X