• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does anyone remember the Conservative Party?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The English are really Franco-Roman-Anglo-Celtic, as are many Welsh and Scots.
    FTFY.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
      I also note that you have selective patriotism. I am British and wish to remain so, if that is part of the UK then all the better. Also many foreigners rich or poor value Britishness even if you don't. If that is your view, please leave the country and go and live in Malaga with the other little Englanders.
      Patriotism is a mucky trait in people.

I could make an exception for the case where one's country is the embodiment of their values - and as such their love for their country is really a proxy-love for their shared values (I'm imagining the U.S. of old, etc).

But it's almost always the case, in reality, that patriotism (and certainly in this country) is more akin to the football hooligans' allegiance to their chosen club. Mindless collectivism filling a void of belonging, created by a lack of real sense of self-worth. Very primitive.

Comment

Working...
      X