• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Does anyone remember the Conservative Party?"

Collapse

• SpontaneousOrder
    replied
    Originally posted by LazyFan View Post
    I also note that you have selective patriotism. I am British and wish to remain so, if that is part of the UK then all the better. Also many foreigners rich or poor value Britishness even if you don't. If that is your view, please leave the country and go and live in Malaga with the other little Englanders.
    Patriotism is a mucky trait in people.

I could make an exception for the case where one's country is the embodiment of their values - and as such their love for their country is really a proxy-love for their shared values (I'm imagining the U.S. of old, etc).

But it's almost always the case, in reality, that patriotism (and certainly in this country) is more akin to the football hooligans' allegiance to their chosen club. Mindless collectivism filling a void of belonging, created by a lack of real sense of self-worth. Very primitive.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    The English are really Franco-Roman-Anglo-Celtic, as are many Welsh and Scots.
    FTFY.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    I'm not really fussed about patriotism one way or the other; I don't believe in forced political unions, however, and if the Scots wish to be on their merry way, so be it, particularly if it results in a rightward shift in England's politics. They can still trade with England and get their chance to implement a more interventionist state, until it collapses without being subsidised.

The fact that some people value forced unions is their issue, not mine, and I can certainly support movements that wish to break these apart without having to 'leave' anywhere. Although there's plenty of nice places elsewhere in the world that I am considering if this country does not shape up economically. So I may yet do that, whilst this country degenerates into an overtaxed patch of misery. I remain optimistic about its prospects for now but we'll see what the next general election brings in.
    Czechoslovakia managed it without any bloodletting or overdone resentment, so separations can happen

Whether it economically makes sense though is another matter

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Who funded this and what was the overall cost to the funders?
    well 4 cans of cider back then probably cost about £1.50 and ten B&H was again about the same

so £3 per person + transport at say £5 per head

assume 2000 'rioters'

so thats 2000*8 = £16,000

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    many of the 'poll tax rioters' were actually just rent a mob students who had been bused in from all over the country on the promise of 4 cans of cider and ten B&H.
    Who funded this and what was the overall cost to the funders?

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    many of the 'poll tax rioters' were actually just rent a mob students who had been bused in from all over the country on the promise of 4 cans of cider and ten B&H.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    Maggie upset them with the Poll tax which they have never forgiven her for. Whilst many Tories still love this TAX, they forget on purpose, it was the most unpopular tax in history (from the anti-tax party) and caused riots even in England. Some Tories even blame this on Scottish tories. As if somehow they made Maggie, the Lady not for Turning do it. As we know this sowed the seeds of the escalation of the Indi movement which at that stage was more like the Cornish Indi non-entity.

At the height of Maggies powers it was also claimed she saved Britain the Sick Man of Europe. Due to all those evil Unions. But if we lose the Scots, who is next? The Welsh (real saxons), The Cornish? Maggie did not save Britain if she ends up being so divisive that it splits up.
    That's the point none can say she saved it, if it no longer exists due to her upsetting any part of it enough to leave.

I also note that you have selective patriotism. I am British and wish to remain so, if that is part of the UK then all the better. Also many foreigners rich or poor value Britishness even if you don't. If that is your view, please leave the country and go and live in Malaga with the other little Englanders.
    I'm not really fussed about patriotism one way or the other; I don't believe in forced political unions, however, and if the Scots wish to be on their merry way, so be it, particularly if it results in a rightward shift in England's politics. They can still trade with England and get their chance to implement a more interventionist state, until it collapses without being subsidised.

The fact that some people value forced unions is their issue, not mine, and I can certainly support movements that wish to break these apart without having to 'leave' anywhere. Although there's plenty of nice places elsewhere in the world that I am considering if this country does not shape up economically. So I may yet do that, whilst this country degenerates into an overtaxed patch of misery. I remain optimistic about its prospects for now but we'll see what the next general election brings in.
    Last edited by Zero Liability; 14 August 2014, 11:38.

Leave a comment:

• Mich the Tester
    replied
    The English are really Anglo-Celtic, as are many Welsh and Scots.
    Some of us don't really give a tulip.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
    Confused surely more than upset, if you want to reall upset them call them an anglo saxon
    Why not stick with 'ugly thick ****'. It works for members of all ethnic groups, so it's much easier to remember just one term.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Er, neither of those are "saxons", they're celts.

FFS don't call a Cymro a saxon, he'll get a tad upset.
    The English are really Anglo-Celtic, as are many Welsh and Scots.

Leave a comment:

• MicrosoftBob
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    Er, neither of those are "saxons", they're celts.

FFS don't call a Cymro a saxon, he'll get a tad upset.
    Confused surely more than upset, if you want to reall upset them call them an anglo saxon

Leave a comment:

• LisaContractorUmbrella
    replied
    Maggie upset them with the Poll tax which they have never forgiven her for. Whilst many Tories still love this TAX, they forget on purpose, it was the most unpopular tax in history (from the anti-tax party) and caused riots even in England. Some Tories even blame this on Scottish tories. As if somehow they made Maggie, the Lady not for Turning do it. As we know this sowed the seeds of the escalation of the Indi movement which at that stage was more like the Cornish Indi non-entity.

At the height of Maggies powers it was also claimed she saved Britain the Sick Man of Europe. Due to all those evil Unions. But if we lose the Scots, who is next? The Welsh (real saxons), The Cornish? Maggie did not save Britain if she ends up being so divisive that it splits up.
    That's the point none can say she saved it, if it no longer exists due to her upsetting any part of it enough to leave.

Not sure you can blame Maggie for Scots wish for independence - according to Wikki it's been going on since the year dot List of battles between Scotland and England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Leave a comment:

• LazyFan
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    How did she 'destroy' it?

Nor do I particularly care much for the artificial entity of Britain. If the Scots want out, England is the better off for letting them do it.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    It was a question, ya twat

There is so much 'let the sponging jocks go and fail on their own' rhetoric on this board, I was genuinely asking why the party who most of you English contractors vote for are so against it.
    you know we are only teasing don't you?

Probably they see it as a step that isn't all that wise in the middle of a recovery (my opinion) or Cameron doesn't want to be known as the man who lost Scotland.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X